TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
In the second link you provide it shows the three different types of relays. The last one they say you can use to boost your TV engine in case you need to get it started. I have a marine deep cycle battery on my TM (12v). if I ever needed to get a boost for whatever reason and had enough energy in my TM battery could I disconnect the wires, take it out of the battery box, bring it over to the TV and give it a boost?
That third type of isolator won't do anything that a pair of jumper cables won't do, and the jumper cables will probably do it better - and certainly cheaper. I always carry jumper cables anyway. They give you a lot more options when you need help. So my advice is to get some LONG, HEAVY jumper cables, and carry them where you can get at them easily. (By the way, in my experience, having good jumper cables ready at hand is the best way to guarantee you will never have a need for jumper cables.)

As far as using your deep cycle battery to start your car? I'm speaking from NO experience here, so take this with a grain of salt. An engine starter requires a LOT of current, for a short time. A true deep cycle battery is not designed to do that - it is designed to provide a small amount of current for a long time. If I needed to start a car with a true deep cycle battery, I think I would jumper-cable it to the car's battery, and wait for a minute or two before turning the key. The deep cycle battery will transfer some of its charge to the engine-starting battery, at a rate it is comfortable with, and then the engine-start battery will do most of the work of starting.

Having said that, you mentioned that you have a marine/deepcycle battery, as most of us do. This type of battery is neither fish nor fowl, but is designed to be somewhere in between. I don't like them, though I do have one. But as a result of the design compromises in this kind of battery, it will probably do the engine-start job better than a true deep cycle battery.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #32
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Refer switch

We used the refer switch from time to time over the last 6 months, this was to minimize the drain from the TM battery when stopped for meals. We have a 95 AH marine deep cycle and had no problems with this method. Our TV came without an isolator and 18 to 20 awg hot wire. We added the isolator and upgraded the wiring.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote