TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #21
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
What is the easiest way to tell if a TM has the aluminum frame instead of wood? If I was looking at a 2006 or so (online, in another state), what would I ask the dealer/seller to look for to determine if it has wood. Thanks!

Answered above:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...18&postcount=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
For this reason, I agree with Davlin - anything after about 2005 will have a good design, and the care that a unit has received will be much more important than the initial design.

This brings up a point to remember. We all tend to assume that design changes happened on model year boundaries, since that is how they happen in the auto industry. This is most definitely NOT TRUE with TMs. Because TM has always been a small-production outfit, they phased in changes when it was handy, which means (among other things) when they used up the old parts and started getting shipments of new parts. It also means that they tried some changes, didn't like them, and reverted to the original design. So if you hear that a given change happened on a specific model in a specific year - don't place too much faith in that. For example, as BR2_WDC said, my 2002 had aluminum-framed shells - but not many 2002's did, and many 2003's did not.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #22
BradS7535

Thanks for all the info and inputs.

Would anyone here have a problem buying a 2006 TM if it was in good condition if you were planning on keeping it 10-15+ years? I guess the main question, if I'm planning on keeping the TM I buy for 10-15+ years, is there a big difference in how old the trailer already is (2006 vs say 2010,11,12). What is the lifespan on these if properly cared for?
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #23
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:

Would anyone here have a problem buying a 2006 TM if it was in good condition if you were planning on keeping it 10-15+ years? I guess the main question, if I'm planning on keeping the TM I buy for 10-15+ years, is there a big difference in how old the trailer already is (2006 vs say 2010,11,12). What is the lifespan on these if properly cared for?
If in good shape and the right price and the fridge and AC work I would do it. I recently bought an 08 so 2 years difference is not a big deal in my book

I think if you keep it under a carport or in a garage things will last longer for sure. Mine is in AZ and was in the hot sun it's life and awning ends needed to be replaced and the ac shroud is brittle, and the bag seal was in need of replacement. Other than that I love this 08 model.

Good luck, I hope you find one as they are a lot of fun. Plus a 2006 should be aluminum framed so no wood rot .

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #24
BradS7535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
If in good shape and the right price and the fridge and AC work I would do it. I recently bought an 08 so 2 years difference is not a big deal in my book

I think if you keep it under a carport or in a garage things will last longer for sure. Mine is in AZ and was in the hot sun it's life and awning ends needed to be replaced and the ac shroud is brittle, and the bag seal was in need of replacement. Other than that I love this 08 model.

Good luck, I hope you find one as they are a lot of fun. Plus a 2006 should be aluminum framed so no wood rot .
Too late, the 2006 I was looking at sold on Monday. You really gotta move FAST on these!

We are currently in the process of extending our carport cover to accommodate our future TM (if we can find one!).
Old 04-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #25
br2_wdc

Quote:

Craig is correct; a couple of model years difference is not the important factor. IMHO it is NOT the year (thought post-2003 is preferable to avoid wood framing) but the condition of the specific unit and how often it was used, combined with if it was stored in a garage or under a cover.

For example, when I found the TM I eventually bought, I could tell immediately that it had been garaged or covered for most of it's life; looking at exterior and seeing the bolts were tight and (essentially) free of rust, and the outside shells were not worn from the sun or sitting outside for any length of time. It really matched what the "story" the 2nd owner was telling me; that the 1st owner kept it garaged and didn't use it very much.

After I had them show me all major systems worked and I purchased it, when I took it home I had my mechanic check the tires and brakes, we checked the date codes and found it had the ORIGINAL TIRES on it from 2004, which I am estimated had 80% of it's tread left.

No question I was very fortunate and essentially stumbled into the "Holy Grail" of TM's: older unit but garaged and hardly used. In comparison, a 2006 2619 that I had seen previously, it was clear looking at the exterior that it sat outside it's entire life, and it was 2 year newer!

As for how long a TM can last, I believe mine has another decade in it, but it's only because it will always be covered/garaged, and I'm going to maintain it both inside and out.

So in summary, I don't believe you should make any hard and fast rules about year except that is post-2003; I would concentrate on the condition of the TM you're considering as the priority. Clearly the newer the better works in your favor, but the condition and any sort of use or condition history you can gleen/sleuth/extract from the current owner/RV dealer/RV broker should guide your decision the most.
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Agree, as with older cars, "condition is everything". Nice part is that about everything that wears is replaceable (including the whole axle assembly from Dexter). Most of the suppliers are known (I live about 10 miles from Fiamma) & someone here has replaced about everything.

My personal forte is power systems and energy budgets. For example I just spent most of a week dry camping with AC every day, coffee every morning, hot showers on demand, and satellite WiFi whenever wanted.

The TM for me is "everything you ever wanted and less". It also serves as a guest cottage when not travelling & is well protected in the grotto when not in use.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #27
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Agree, as with older cars, "condition is everything". Nice part is that about everything that wears is replaceable (including the whole axle assembly from Dexter). Most of the suppliers are known (I live about 10 miles from Fiamma) & someone here has replaced about everything.

My personal forte is power systems and energy budgets. For example I just spent most of a week dry camping with AC every day, coffee every morning, hot showers on demand, and satellite WiFi whenever wanted.

The TM for me is "everything you ever wanted and less". It also serves as a guest cottage when not travelling & is well protected in the grotto when not in use.

Padgett, We will have to talk more of this running AC off Solar or was that using Genny?

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

AC requires a generator, current favorite is a Westpro WH2400i. 50 lbs and since gas tank seals tight stores easily in rear compartment next to the two GC2s.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
BradS7535

Anyone in the area of Ashland Kentucky able to check out a used TM for me?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
jimair1548

Default Age and condition

Adding to Bill's comments, we have a 2004 3023 and it came with aluminum shell framing, 15 inch wheels, and round wheel wells, so I would say that these really good upgrades were made in 2002/2003, and have continued to present day. Our unit has been garaged from day 1, which has helped to keep it in great shape. If these trailers are cared for and not abused, they should last indefinitely. On another point, our 3023 has a posted max weight of 5000 lbs. We put it on the comercial scales every so often and loaded, with all of our "goodies", we have never exceeded 3825 lbs. We never carry water because we stay in state parks almost exclusively, and they always have water available. (I have added a mod so, if they don't have water at the site, I can fill the tank with the trailer closed, in the towing mode,as we enter the park)
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote