TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
cstevens

Thank you so much for all your answers, I had no Idea I was opening such a can of worms........ I did get my answer. Thank you everyone...

Cstevens
2008 2720 SL, Jeep Liberty
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
gjmaker95

Default Norcold Fridge issues...

I just picked up a 2005 TM 3023 and the small gauge on the front of the fridge doesn't seem to be working. After reading the threads in this post, I held down the pilot button at the top of the fridge for about 60 seconds, then tried the ignitor button. No movement on the gauge, but I thought I heard it light. Went outside, opened the bottom service panel on the fridge and sure enough, heard the flame going. Let it run an hour, and the fridge was noticeably colder. Questions:
1) How cold should it get after about 1 to 2 hrs without the shore power connected?
2) Is it just a question of replacing the gauge, or will the fix warrant a new control board?
3) Since it seems to be working on propane as well as electric, should I worry about the gauge at all?

Thanks in advance,
Gregg (Proud Newbie TM owner)
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

These fridges take a long time to cool down. In our years of having campers we start our the day before on AC in the drive and change to propane or 12v for travel. In best case, I would not expect it to be a operating temp for at least 8 hours. I think most people that are new to campers question how long it takes to cool down. We all have had the feeling we had a bad fridge with our first RV fridge.

I'm new to TM's. The thing I'm trying to figure out, is how to start up the fridge the day before with a TM. I can only see having to pop it up. So we might start it at the first campsite and bring our stuff in a cooler with some water bottles of ice to help cool down the fridge??

PS: These fridges unless traveling need to be very close to being level or they will form a crystal in the coolest and cause permanent damage. So if running in the drive level off the camper.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

TM refrigerators like most campers operate by boiling an ammonia solution. It's an absorption process where it removes all heat from the space. The freezer will freeze up initially and then the cold drifts down to the lower space. It's not very efficient. Every time you open the door, it nearly starts over. Most here will chill the refrigerator cold the day or night before hitting the road using the electric mode. I use an extension cord with 30a adapter from my 110a outlet on the side of the house. Before you depart on the trip, Switch the power mode to 12v and the TV will provide the power. Don't park too long ( 2-3 hrs) or the TM will draw down the TV battery, leaving you with a dead battery. Put chilled items in the refrigerator first. When you put room temp items in to a chilled space, it has to remove that heat. Or wait to do any of the above until you arrive at the campsite and wait overnight for the refrigerator to be chilled. The freezer will keep ice cream frozen.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #25
Digger

I had the gauge go out on mine while still under warrantee. The frig. Worked fine but the needle never moved. It could be just be a loose wire on yours, if you slide the frig. out a few inches you’ll be able to check the connections. There are just two thin wires going to it. If it needs to be replaced it’s an easy job. You can get one on line or any RV place should be able to order one for you. The part# is 61481322 and it’s called a ”meter flame detector”.
Ed
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #26
gjmaker95

Default Flame Meter

Thanks for the advice, gents. I'm coming to my TM 3023 KB from an Outback 21RS, and I am used to hooking up the fridge on shore power a couple of days early. Ed, thanks in particular for the tips on checking the meter connections. I will do so when I replace the stereo unit. For now, I'll just pretend I'm back in my parents 24' Prowler, no fancy gauge, just eyes and ears to tell you it's working

Gregg
3023 KB
2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
TM
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote