TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2002, 02:05 AM   #11
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Anode Rod

Picture1 of corroded anode rod ...
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:07 AM   #12
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Picture2 of corroded anode rod ...
Old 05-02-2002, 11:35 AM   #13

Thanks.  I'm going to order a new rod tonight  
Old 05-06-2002, 12:53 AM   #14
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I got my new anode from Camping World. The instruction that came with the anode referenced the wrong socket size. I didn't have a socket set large enough for the referenced socket size. So, I had to buy one. Because I used the instructions I ended up buying the wrong size, I then had to return to the hardware store with the new anode to get the correct size socket.

Hopefully this will save you an unnecessary trip to the store.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:21 AM   #15

The exact same thing happened to me in Custer, SD.  But I didn't feel like driving back to Rapid City to return the part, so I still have in the van!  Frustrating, but I got over it!
Old 05-06-2002, 10:18 AM   #16

What is the socket size?  It looks to be about 1 1/16".
Old 05-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #17

Yes, it requires a 1-1/16 socket.  I pulled mine out last weekend.  This is season number 3 for us, but our anode showed only minor deterioration.  I re-installed the same original one, (don't forget you'll need pipe dope), but bought a spare anode ($9) at our local camper dealer for the next time I check it.

We're anxious for our first outing!  Our first trip of this season is in 2 weeks with the Central Northeast Chapter of the TrailBlazers in Geneva, Ohio.  Can't wait! ;D
Old 08-20-2002, 01:20 PM   #18
DancinCampers

Good day all,

A month ago I wouldn't have known what an anode rod was.

We purchaed our unit last month, & one of the first things I did was pull the rod.  I think it was original.

Thanks to this forum I have replaced it, along with flushing out the hot water heater.

Thanks all,

Dan
Old 09-15-2002, 08:23 AM   #19

Now that the season is pretty much over, I decided to get back to my anode.  Contrary to popular opinion, on our 1995 Model 3023 it is on the INSIDE, under the sink.  The sink drain PVC drain pipe makes it a bit awkard to access, but I folded down the bathroom wall and could get reasonable access with a breaker bar.  Once it broke free, it came out without much trouble.

Since we bought the 3023 used, I have no idea if it was the original rod, but it looks a bit more corroded than the pictures posted earlier.

I too had purchased the replacement from Camping World.  Just noticed that it included the white plastic tape to wrap the thread with.

Before installing the new rod, I plan to take some photos for future reference.   I had a difficult time locating the rod.  Must be the newer units have it in the drain plug location, which is far easier to access.

Below is the e-mail reply I received from Suburban Manufacturing when I inquired:

"You should check and replace your anode on a routine basis.

You have correctly located the anode. If the anode has not been removed in a while it may take additional force to loosen and remove it. You may want to use a breaker bar and it may require you to add a piece of pipe to it as a "cheater" bar.

When you reinstall the  one, be sure to use Teflon tape and you may want to use some vegetable oil on the threads to make it easier to remove next time. If you
use pipe sealant compound, please be use it is approved for potable water."
Old 10-07-2002, 12:21 AM   #20
arknoah

Dan,

Wish I'd known about the tape and oil tip before I started this season.  We're heading out for the final time this weekend, and I hope I'll be able to get that sucker out!