TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
logcabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrickard View Post
Our TM came with a standard telephone jack (RJ-11) and a full size (wall switch size) plate for it. Seemed pretty obsolete so I ordered a replacement plate that had one round 12v plug and two 2a usb plugs to replace it with.
Where did you order the replacement plate from? THANKS!

2004 2720SL
2012 Toyota Tundra
logcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Some things I just take the "least effort" and have two short splitters, one at each end that I sanded the barrels a bit so they fit the european sockets easier and take conventional US plugs.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
moaboy

Some say it could be 6-7 years on the tires. All depends on how they were cared for and how much exposure to the elements etc. if a new tire is cared for according to some tire manufactures that is reasonable and safe time frame.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
madizzy8

Default Thank you!

Thanks for all the help. One thing we are learning is that these Trailmanors seem to require a fair amount of work. I'm sure to seasoned owners it's no big deal. To us uneducated, it is mind boggling. I have no idea how old the tires are. I don't know anything about the water heater either. So far we are dealing with tail light issues, low clearance on hitch and a broken electric tongue jack. Yes it's a used trailer. We are thinking that perhaps we should take it somewhere and have someone that knows Trailmanors go over everything with us and repair what needs repairing. Is that costly? Would sure make things easier. All I want to do is go camping.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Most of the maintenance & repairs you're facing are not difficult, but can be costly, if performed by an RV shop. Here, in the threads of this forum, you'll find the detailed instructions for every maintenance issue you have.

Don't be overwhelmed, just tackle one problem at a time. It will take some time & money to do it, but only half the $$$, a RV service shop would charge.

Bottom line is make sure your TM is road worthy and safe before you plan a camping trip.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
Padgett
TrailManor Master

To tell the tires age look for a long string following the letters DOT (may only be on one side of the tire). The last four digits are the week and year the tire was made.

See here. (I don't care for their pictures, date code is usually in it own oval, but good enough for government work).
Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizzy8 View Post
We just brought our Trailmanor home yesterday. It's new to us but is a 2004. What kind of things do we check for? We, of course verified that lights, water, stove etc were working. We know we will need to do a bit of work and cleaning. What concerns me are things like wheel bearings, brakes, axle etc. What should we check for? We purchased this from a woman whose husband was out of the country so her knowledge was limited. Is there a check list when buying a used Trailmanor? Total newbies here with limited knowledge of Trailmanor.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Love this forum!
Mary
First, it would be helpful if you put your TM Model in your signature.

If you've got one, be sure to check the "swing hitch" for any cracks.

I feel that the wheel bearings will last indefinitely, IF you re-grease them every 2-3000 miles (or every other year, if you don't put on a lot of mileage). I'd assume that they've never been re-greased, so I'd put that job at the top of my list. When the Trailer is raised on the raised on all four of the Liftco jacks, the wheels should spin fairly smooth (with some effort), and also have no "looseness" in any other direction.

Test the brakes by pushing the "emergency control handle" on your brake controller, without pressing the TV brake pedal. Verify that the Trailer stops firmly- dragging the TV to a halt from behind.

If the tires are more than 6 years old (even with limited mileage, no visible wear) they should be replaced due to age.

Replace The CO/LP gas detector, they wear out after 6-8 years.

Check (and probably replace) the anode rod in the water heater.

Verify the Fridge in all 3 modes, and check the Fridge date- it might need the Wiring Update Kit applied (if it isn't already there).

If the batteries are original, replace them.

If there is any peeling "caulk" between aluminum and plastic exterior parts, peel it out and replace it. The product to use is: 3M "4200" boat sealant. (Home Depot sells it.) Be sure to get the "fast cure" (or else bugs will be getting stuck in soggy glue for a week.) Be aware the the "open time" on a tube is only about 30 minutes, so prepare and clean all the joints first -then do them all at once.

Also note that the Gas Cylinders are probably approaching the age at which they must be checked / "recertified" (12 years), before a subsequent refilling is legal.

There is a spring-loaded fuse in the wire which connects from "+" on one of the batteries, over to the DC distribution panel and Power Converter. Replace that fuse with a "blade" fuse module, because the spring gets rusty.
- - - -
In the area of actual "upgrades", I would consider buying an upgrade kit for the original electric converter in your unit (which is probably an old "Parallax" model).