TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #11
OrangeKid

Default Re: ease of towing?

We also recently checked a 2619 at Custom RV in Anaheim and my wife, who weighs 135 lbs, had no trouble opening and closing it by herself.

We ordered a 2619 last Friday.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #12

Brightsu,

If your TM is new--it's supposed to come from the factory with a little step stool; I think they put it in one of the kitchen cabinets.

Enjoy your new unit!

Joan
Old 06-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #13

Page 23 of the general discusion section has comments on TM height and head clearance for individuals that are 6'4" respectively.

Joan
Old 06-24-2003, 04:28 AM   #14
arknoah

I guess I'm getting into this thread a little late, but here are my comments:  First, I'm not convinced that closing the trailer is so difficult.  Now, I am 6' tall, so I know that must be a factor, but in our first month or so of owning the unit, I on several occasions had to ask Ellen to go on the street side of the trailer to help me close the unit.  The secret we found was once you have lowered the rear shell, make sure the rear of the shell is right on the black rubber seal.  The,. I just walk my hands down the shell from the rear of the shell to the front of shell, pressing it down along the way.  I am only of average strength, and I’m just keeping it down, not lowering the shell in this way.  Once I get to the stirrup, closing it is pretty easy.  You almost have to go to a dealer and see how it feels to know whether you’ll be able to do it or not.  

Regarding towing, I always use the sway control, perhaps because I’m a wimp.  I only take it off when I’m ready to pull or back into a site.  Our mileage in our Toyota Sequoia is about 16.5 mpg without towing, and about 14 mpg towing the unit.  My understanding is that Hi- Los are heavier to tow, but have the same low profile, which is bound to help.  I think were I doing this alone, I might do for a Hi-Lo for the ease of towing.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:39 AM   #15

Here's my quick $.02 worth on opening and closing a TM.  We have a TM2619 -- I'm 5ft 9in at 72 yrs. and I open and close the TM by myself without any problem.  

At this point in time, I wouldn't consider anything else when it comes to ease of towing and using a trailer -- maybe when I get to 80, I might think differently.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:01 AM   #16
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Two, before you buy a TM make sure you can close it by yourself. I'm a 230 lb. male over 6 feet and I have trouble doing it alone.

If you are 230 # and have trouble closing it there is something out of adjustment. I am under 200 # And I have no problems closing mine all by myself...my wife has even closed it by herself. Talk to Jimmy or Mike at the factory about how to adjust the torsion bars.

On to texasyankee's question...with the TrailManor and a good WDH, I have no, none, zero sway, and that makes me a happy camper indeed.

Good luck,

Larry

Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:34 AM   #17
Robin

I also have zero sway with my WDH.  Best news of all, when I tow at  55- 60 mph in my Tundra I get 17 mpg.   ;D
Old 06-24-2003, 06:47 AM   #18
2619PDX

I'll jump in here. I'm 6'2" - 250 and my wife is 5'3".
Neither of us has a problem opening or closing the TM. We even have solar panels on the front which make it heavier...

As to having to use the stirrup to latch the shell halves, that's never proven to be a problem for either of us.

I've towed the TM both with and without a WDH, and I would NEVER go back to being without the WDH again.

We get 13.5 MPG with our Chevy Tahoe while under tow.

I think over time, you will find the TM to be easy to tow and easy to own.

Best,

Gregg