TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I thought I had read there was always some current flow, which left me with the impression that it never completely shut off? Our elec cost is around 18 cents per kw 8.5 for elec, 8.5 for use of the power lines and tax. Just trying to chip away
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I've been using little 600ma "floats" for about a decade now. Do fine at keeping my batteries charged when not in use. Not much intelligence just not enough power to hurt anything.

Just checked the coupe which has been in the garage for a while and is sitting on about 20ma which is pretty much the ECM keep-alive. I make that about 18 days per KWH. Two bits a month for you ?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbernache View Post
I'm wondering what the full charge is on the TM standard battery.

We, including me sure have the ability to get off topic, maybe it is the weather

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
moaboy

It's not exactly off topic if it is either an education or entertainment?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #15
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
It's not exactly off topic if it is either an education or entertainment?
Agree but sometimes we drift endlessly ...........

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 01-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Since the TM battery is usually installed by the dealer there is no correct answer for the voltage. The only way to find out is check the battery manufacture web site and see what they say. After the battery is fully charged it must rest 4 to 6 hours to bleed off the surface charge to get a good voltage reading. According to the 12 volt side of life anything above 12.6 volts is 100% soc charge. As mentioned in other threads the only way to know is measure the specific gravity of a lead acid battery and correct for temperature. That is a real pita.
Again anything above 12.6 volts is ball park for fully charged. Per the manufacture of the Exide stowways we use 12.6 volts is 50% soc charge at a temp of 77 deg. F. The SG I have measured when fully charged is 1.285 and the voltage is 13.3.

AGM's will be different. Gels will be different. If you need a specific answer go to the battery maunfactures' web site.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

You expected petunias ?

This is the time of year when few are going outside for long (just took the 'vert to get a haircut, didn't even need my jacket. Is what we put up with summer for.

If I know I am not using the TM for a while, I pull the battery and set it on a piece of 2x12 since is not supposed to sit on a concrete floor (anyone know why ?) and hook up one of my little float chargers. Inside temp is 60-70F so no worrys.

Never really worried about specific gravity since most of my batteries are sealed AGM.

What I have found are two things:
1) AGM last longer than wet cells & do not need topping up (I always keep a gallon or two of distilled water around, 84c/gal at the mart at the wall.
2) If I keep the batteries charged, they last a long time.
and that is what is important
Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Padgett -

Most battery sites will tell you that the deal about not putting a battery on a concrete floor was once true, but is now outdated. For example, go to the FAQ on the Interstate Battery site.

For an answer from a non-commercial site, go to batteryfaq.org, click on "Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ", then on Section 14, and ifnally on 14.1. This is a good site, in that it disposes of a lot of myths. An example of a myth: "It is bad to store your battery in a cold place. You should bring it into your warm workshop or basement." Wrong!

Lots of good info here - some of it subject to almost as much emotion and disagreement as the TM's recirculating toilet.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Padgett -

Most battery sites will tell you that the deal about not putting a battery on a concrete floor was once true, but is now outdated. For example, go to the FAQ on the Interstate Battery site.

For an answer from a non-commercial site, go to batteryfaq.org, click on "Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ", then on Section 14, and ifnally on 14.1. This is a good site, in that it disposes of a lot of myths. An example of a myth: "It is bad to store your battery in a cold place. You should bring it into your warm workshop or basement." Wrong!

Lots of good info here - some of it subject to almost as much emotion and disagreement as the TM's recirculating toilet

Bill

Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Yes a lot of what I once learned is now as obsolete as all of the miracle drugs they find out will kill you...or not (anyone remember strontium-90 in cranberries ?). Life is a learning process: you stop, you die.

Some does not matter (like putting a battery on a piece of wood) but does not hurt either. Have been keeping household batteries in the fridge for years.

Good example is music: 78s, 33 1/3s, reel-reel, four tracks, eight tracks, cassette, CD, microSD cards...and a car from 1915 would have no problem with 87 PON.

So it goes.