TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Porta pottie vs. cassette, your choice. Mine will be permanent with water hook up and secured to wall and floor. No batteries for flushing no need to fill with water but as you said not much of a difference. Money wasn't a concern ,if so I wouldn't have bought a TM !
Definitely not an item for everyone and no it isn't cheap but neither am I!!!!!
Actually the original recirculating wasn't cheap either but I didn't care for it.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Let us know how about the installation and take some pics.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
MT Camper

[QUOTE=Redtail Cruiser;112535]That's interesting, so the only advantage to a Thetford Cassette over a Thetford Curve is you pull an enclosed container out of the side door of an open trailer vs walking an enclosed container out through the trailer door. Not much of an advantage for the price difference, but to each their own. [/QUOTE

I had a cassette in my pop up and you are right. You do pull the cassette black tank out a door on the side of the trailer right behind the toilet instead of walking the black tank out the bathroom door and thru the trailer. The difference also is when pulling the tank from the cassette you aren't in a small cramped bathroom space, you are standing outside with lots of room. Too each his own and I personally want the black tank pulled from outside and not in the bathroom. But until I get to this type of "big" project I will use the existing toilet and I have a 6 gallon tank that is on the ground outside so I can dump the toilet every couple days and then dump in the outhouse/pit toilet/camp ground toilet. 2 days is about as long as I want everything sitting in the toilet. I use a 6 gal tote (not filled all the way up) so I can handle it myself, any bigger and I wouldn't want to try and lift it.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I like TrailManorMan's suggestion the best, if I owned the cassette toilet. Just have two tanks. When you are about to break camp, clean the upper toilet, remove the full black water tank, replace it with a clean empty tank, and you are good to go on the next camp out. Then just dump the full tank at the station when you are going to dump the gray water tank.

When I owned a Coleman tent camper, it had a cassette toilet but that was removable when the camper was closed up.

I would dump that full tank at the dump station, rinse it twice, then re-insert it into the Coleman for the ride home. Then when I got home and the Coleman was in the garage, part of my post camping chore was to remove the black water tank, disassemble the swing pipe and some other parts on it that easily come off, spray it down with a dilute spray of top-job detergent, then hose it all down with hot water.

After 13 years, my Thetford cassette still looked like new and was clean smelling as the day it was made.

I now own the curve and love it. The process so far is to dump it at the dump station, rinse it several times, then swish a cleaner around inside, rinse that, then reinstall it back into the TrailManor before we drop the sides. However I'm probably not getting the bottom tank as clean as I was able to do when I was able to wash it down with a mild detergent and hot tap water spray from a hose in my garage. Now that I think of it, I should just put the full bottom black water tank in the truck, drop the sides of the TrailManor, dump the tank at the dump station, then bring it home for a real good cleaning, then pack it up clean to take out for the next camp out.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Finished and loving itClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	10329

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	10330

I love it

Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Looks good! Only difference between yours and my factory-installed is that yours has one lock, while mine has two (and in different locations). I like yours better!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Looks real good. If I ever decided I can't live with the recirculating toilet, that's the way I will go. How I know someone that has done it. Was there any surprises?

As I have said before. I think the hardest thing for me would be cutting the hole. lol, Not for lack of tools or capability, but fear I would be off just a little.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #19
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

No doubt the fear of cutting the wall was present!
Supplied with unit/ door are templates, makes the location easy. You place a template inside behind the outline of toilet and mark, then drill two locator holes, then go outside and line up template number two with holes and mark the door size and location, overall pretty easy.
My concern was if anything was in the wall, you also have a wheel well on one side and a outside shower on the other side. I used the outside shower for my water source, easier than getting under the small vanity. I would do it again, not a bad job at all, thanks to Bill for the write up on the old toilet removal that was easy also!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #20
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Ship, I would have the same concern "is there was any thing in the wall". Been there before and cut through some wires many years ago. Thanks for finding out for all of us.

Enjoy the new toilet. Wish I had one.