TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Good point, but I already thought of that.

The swim noodle is just snug enough to hold itself in place. Also, the draft behind the closet is there even if the noodle is not present.

This is not a major issue for me, because I only camp once a month from March through October, and the only time it is cold in California is November through March. So for one trip a year I don't get overly excited about the draft.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapChinLvr View Post
In the master bed I have a memory foam topper that is bigger than the bed so it covers all the gaps and goes wall to wall. So buy a bigger size and cut to fit. I bought mine cheap at overstock.com.
Cool idea!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach832 View Post
I had a similar problem. I bought some foil blanket insulation and duct taped it into a single blanket for the bed floor. I cut pipe insulation to fit into the gaps between the bed pan and the trailer (didn't think of the swim noodles). Probably spent a more than I needed to, but on the otherhand we haven't had any problems with cold bed or drafts.
Another cool idea!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
ericluvskim04

I went camping two weeks ago in Northern New Mexico and it got down to 27 degrees one night. I covered the areas with towels and used a portable heater to keep the unit warm (about 68 degrees when we woke up). The units heater never kicked on once but I set it at 60 degrees just in case. We did go to Wal-mart before we left and bought a queen size matress heater with dual controls. It kept things nice and toasty and we didn't feel any drafts and let me tell you the wind was howling. I was very please. I did just buy a memory foam matress pad from overstock.com for $68.00 to cover the gaps. Thanks Japchinlvr for the suggestion. I am heading out to Palo Dura Canyon this weekend near Amirillo Texas and they are only forcasting 42 degrees for the low night time temp. I can't wait for the pad to arrive to test it out.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I think you will enjoy Palo Duro it's a beautiful place. I have many stories about getting trapped behind the low water crossings of the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River. I think they may have built actual bridges there now, though. I've never been to the park in the winter, I predict you will not be crowded!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Our last trip out a few weeks ago we tried the swimming pool noodles on the rear queen in our 2720 and it certainly made a difference.

On both sides of the bed is a gap about 2.5 inches wide and about 4 feet long. A swimming pool noodle can be pressed into this space as additional insulation.

We still had cold air flowing in from behind the closet. This was directly on DWs head. During the day I could see light between the upper rear shell and the lower shell. I stuffed a towel behind the closet and that solved the problem.

To test for air leaks you might try peeking up from the ground at night while all of the interior lights are on to see if you can see light through any gaps. I have not tried this, but I think it will be an easy way to find some of the gaps.

In warmer weather it doesn't matter much, but a cold draft this time of year is very annoying.
I have an update.

I recently modified the exterior latch near the closet. I flipped the aluminum bar over 180 degrees and drilled a new hole for the pin in the rear shell. This hole is about 3/6 inch in from where the original is. This pulls the center bottom of the rear shell in tighter against the bottom shell. We just spent 5 nights at Sequoia NP, but since there was no wind I don't know if it solved the problem, but I certainly think it did. Maybe next spring I will have more experience. Camping season is now over for us until February.

The temperature at dawn was 43 degrees. During the day was around 70-75. The furnace cycled on a few times each night with a setting of about 58 degrees.