TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bluegrass wrote
Quote:
Is there any problem leaving the electric water heater on all the time? I'm assuming that there is a thermostat that turns it on and off as long as the switch is in the "ON" position.
You may leave the electric switch ON all the time. There is indeed a thermostat in the water heater, just like your water heater at home. However, remember to turn the switch OFF before you drain the water heater!

And ShrimpBurrito wrote
Quote:
is there any advantage to using a ScanGauge vs. the factory digital fuel gauge that measures instantaneous fuel consumption?
Probably not - at least I don't find that there is any. But be sure to switch your Scan Gauge so that one of the readouts is transmission temperature. Now THAT is useful information! You can save all the gas you want, but it won't come close to paying for a new transmission. I have mine set to start blinking if the trans temp exceeds 200 degrees.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
mgoblue911

Default Awning frailty

All of those on here advising to be VERY conservative about putting the awning away if there is any chance of wind, any chance of rain, or if you are going to be away from the trailer for any length of time, are absolutely correct. I am on my third support arm for my Fiamma awning. First one was broken by a falling tree limb during an overnight storm. The second was from a seemingly innocent light rainfall with no wind. I still can't believe that enough water accumulated on my properly slanted awning to cause the support are to snap.

One of the real hassles of having this happen occurs when you happen to be IN the trailer when the arm breaks. The awning falls down in front of the door making it almost impossible to get out without tearing a big rip in the awning material with the top corner of the door. Ask me how I know....
Old 06-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jon -

Just go out through the emergency exit! Unlatch one of the beds and lift it up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Bluegrass

Default Back from Grass Valley

Well, we returned home today after spending the night at the Iron Horse RV park in Elko. The RV park office closed at 4 p.m. so we just picked a spot and hooked up. There was a map of the park but little else on the bulletin board. This is a very nice park, not yet two years old. A bit pricey at $45 but easy to get into and out of. Paved sites and all the amenities.

Surprisingly, gas prices were pretty reasonable across Nevada. I paid $4.19 for mid range gasoline in Elko. If you ever cross this place, DON'T go into the Chevron station. They charge 60 cents more per gallon just because they are the only ones by the freeway exit. I also stopped there this morning to put some air in one of my TM tires that came up about 4-5 pounds low. I found the air and was surprised that it cost $1.00 to use. A guy came out of the garage and saw me. He told me that the hose wouldn't reach the trailer and to come over to the garage. Another guy came out with a hose and asked me how much pressure it took. I told him 65 pounds. Then came a pitch I thought disappeared 30 years ago. "How long have you had these?" "About 3 months," says I. Then he gives me the pitch: "Did you know your tread is starting to separate?" "Where," says I. "Here," says he pointing to nothing that I can see. Then comes the closer: "It's going to get hot today. I sure wouldn't risk driving all the way to Salt Lake on this tire." I look again and see only that tiny little rubber flange that often sticks out on new tires. "Hmmm," says I. "I think I feel lucky enough to risk it" sloughing off his "yer gonna die on the desert in the middle of Nevada" inference. Then he tossed me the hose and said I could fill the other tire myself. I chuckled. This used to be a common practice in Nevada but I haven't heard of anyone trying it in years.

As Ragmopp predicted, we got 14 mpg on the return trip as opposed to the 12 mpg we got going West when we were bucking headwinds.

We got home in mid afternoon. We've unloaded then washed the TM all down. Fortunately, I put a couple of good coats of wax on the front. That's the only part that caught the bugs and they came off easily. Also very grateful to Bill for the idea of adding mud flaps. Although his purpose was to protect against blowout damage, I actually went through quite a bit of mud and the flaps did the job!!

All in all, no surprises on a 1600 mile round trip. Weather was perfect, traffic light, and the Tundra and TM a dream to drive.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

I can't believe those guys at the gas station. That's annoying.

What kind of wax did you use on the TM?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
jbrooks

I've heard before about using "noodles" to keep out the cold and wind. i bought some, but could not figure out where to put them. Help!
Judy
2005 TM 3021
'99 Toy 4R
Hannah (Min. Schn.)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Sounds like a wonderful trip!

I can't believe those guys at the gas station. That's annoying.

What kind of wax did you use on the TM?
I used Mother's. Did about 3 coats on the front.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
Bluegrass

Default Noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
I've heard before about using "noodles" to keep out the cold and wind. i bought some, but could not figure out where to put them. Help!
Judy
2005 TM 3021
'99 Toy 4R
Hannah (Min. Schn.)
Slip them underneath the sides of the rear shell alongside the bed. You kinda have to push them into place. I also cut them to fit - about 6 inches shorter.

You can also put two underneath the front shell alongside the sofas of the 3124kb. Not sure about other models.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
I've heard before about using "noodles" to keep out the cold and wind. i bought some, but could not figure out where to put them. Help! Judy
You probably don't need the noodles to keep out the cold this time of year, but now's a good time time to buy them. We tried buying them towards the end of summer last year, and we couldn't find any! Had to use split pipe insulation foam instead - they works just like noodles, and are available in different thicknesses.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote