TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
If you get the 15 " tires (on 3023 and 3124) you'll want the pressure to be at 65 psi. 50 psi is for the 14 " tires on the 2619, 2720, and the dual axle 3326.
No, not really.
You should tune your tire pressure to the load on the tires, as GoodYear recommends. (I've put links within the "tires" section.) GoodYear also says that you can add 10 PSI to the calculated value for traveling on freeways at speeds 65-75 mph (here, http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf). our TM owners' manual, which is normally a really good idea. But in this case, the TM one-liner " always inflate the 65 PSI" is wrong.

Using the Goodyear table (here, http:http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf) my 15 inch Marathons (original, standard tires) should usually be at LESS than 50 PSI. Yes, I have only a 2619, which is lighter than the two models which come with 15" as std equipment. But even the big models shouldn't have the full 65 PSI until the tire load is nearing 2500 lbs.

If you don't yet know your "typical" tire loading when loaded for a road trip, definitely drive through a scale and have it measured.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question Ted, your trip is getting close....

Do you want my "one big grand circle" northern route instead? It will take me a while to figure out and post, so if you're already set on the South, then I'll skip.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
drkilware

Default More from Ted

I appreciate the comments. Some answers to questions...my TV is a 2001 Explorer Sport (2-dr) 4WD V-6 automatic transmission (with a tow limit of 4940). The dry weight of the TT is 3090 (if I get the 3124). I guess my traveling weight will be about 4000. I know I'll lose some performance at altitude but think I'll be ok. Comments?

Yes the trip is ambitious/busy/a lot of traveling. Some people get away by hiking and camping, I get away by driving and seeing things...sometimes by driving by and sometimes by getting out and exploring.

My schedule is very fluid and I can tailor it on the fly. The plan was to head to CO first and spend 2-3 days in COS and then head to Durango for Mesa Verde and 4 corners. Then up the Silverton-Ouray Million Dollar Highway and cross back over the divide and visit some friends on the front range north of Denver for a day or two.

The goal of the trip is to visit each man-made (Mt Rushmore, Space Needle, Golden Gate, Hoover Dam) and natural (Yellowstone, Yosmite, Grand Canyon) wonders of the western US (excluding the Gateway Arch). The Space Needle is the one on the chopping block.

When possible I'll stay at military installation RV parks but also appreciate the suggestion about Good Sam and Woodalls. What about KOA sites?

Again I appreciate the feedback. I'm working a string of nights so I don't get to check the posts as frequently as I'd like as I can't access it at work.

Ted
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Travler

I'm a member of KOA and all of the camp grounds that I've stayed at are clean and well regulated.........cost varies between 25 and 28 dollars plus tax per night.....I think you will be very pleased with KOA...some of them have hot tubs..which comes in handy after a day of driving.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
FightinIrish

Just something to think about if you take your labs, as I have one that travels with us everywhere we go. Be careful when they get in and out of the TM. The steps arent really that user friends especially for dogs. With two labs also, they may be in competition to see who gets in and out first. There have been previous posts also about dogs nails getting caught in the little holes on the steps. I actually took some Bunk material that I placed on my boat trailer, cut to fit both steps and used some adhesive to secure them in place so I didnt have that issue to deal with.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
drkilware

So...to update everyone.

I put a deposit down on an '09 3124. I'll post the particulars when I close the deal...should be on/about 7/22.

And then it will be "on the road again."

Ted
Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
rtgetchell

Default Mueller State Park

Rick, I must respectfully disagree. As a Colorado resident, Mueller State Park on the back side of Pikes Peak is one of the very best state parks not just in Colorado, but anywhere. The scenery is great, the stars are incredible (at a desolate 9,500 feet above sea level), miles of trails, NO pine beetle (yet), and it is close to Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek. In addition, a new state park, Cheyenne Mountain, is scheduled to open in southern Colorado Springs at the base of Cheyenne Mountain. It will be urban, but compared to the other urban parks in this state, it will be a real keeper... So, I am not sure I would skip the Pikes-Peak region.....

Dead Horse Point State Park near Canyonlands can't be missed...add it to your trip. See the Big Horn Viewpoint at sunset....awesome.

For what it is worth.....
rtgetchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Hi,
We've been traveling for 4 months now and discovered that there is a benefit from high gas prices. It is not so difficult to get camp spots at the last moment. Our only worries have been for weekends and we haven't had problems then either. Near highly populated areas could be a chore on weekends as well. We try to plan around those spots so we are there during the week instead

Have fun on your trip!

trex

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgetchell View Post
Rick, I must respectfully disagree....
I didn't know that Cheyenne Mountain hadn't opened already. But I've got a trip to COS coming up, I'll be right there. (Broadmoor, not TM-- sometimes I really have to suffer. ). In November, I don't know if Mueller is open or accessible. But thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
agesilaus

You might want to join Passport America, they have thousands of campgrounds. Most at 50% off.

We have been traveling for years out west, 3 weeks a year, for the last 10 or 15 years. And we usually concentrate on one state per trip and only see a part of that state.

Your schedule is wildly optimistic. I'd concentrate on a few states at most. CO, NM, AZ and maybe southern CA. Toloumne Meadows in Yosemite has unreserved sites but you need to be there before noon to hope to get one.

BK