TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
Digger

I do mostly dry camping; over 120 days a year, so I replaced some of my overheads with LED part # 1156 PCB CWHP9 from superbrightleds and yes they are spendy. My battery monitor shows a jump of 1.5Amp when I turn on an incandescent light and .15Amp with the LED replacement. They give out as much light if not more and I haven’t noticed any problem because of a narrow beam. They light the same area as the incandescent lights. The lens cover on the overheads probably helps to diffuse the light. I also changed out the fluorescents over the kitchen sink with two ½” x 12” LED strips which also works great but I haven’t seen any of those around lately.

Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
moaboy

Recently installed a Clipper battery monitor and I was pleasantly surprised at how little the LED lights I had switched out used - about .1 amp. Significantly less than the other flu tubes and especially incandescent lights.
I plan to get more LED lights as they work so well. Not cheap, but are worth it if one camps often w/o hook ups.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
surfandgolf

I replaced the dated reading lamps found in older TMs with a pair of LED ones I found on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-1...f#ht_500wt_956

From first glance it looks like the wires would come out of the wall, like they would in a house, but they actually run under the corner molding, which made it easy to run back up to the overhead cabinet and connect inside. The wires you see in the photo are the speaker wires the previous owner installed, I'll put those under the molding eventually. It left a couple screw holes in the walls which I just filled with caulk. It looks better than the old brass ones and draws a lot less power, I plan on swapping out all the lights to LEDs at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sophi 029.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	5698   Click image for larger version

Name:	sophi 030.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	5699  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
bobhcs

I replaced all my incandescent bulbs on my popup with the 3x3 LED's from superbrightleds.com and was very happy with them. They were very bright, had a nice white tone and only used about 1/10 the current. I would prefer them to even a florescent light. They are pricey but I think they are worth it. I think it is a good idea to try one or two out first to see if you like them.

I'm anxiously waiting for our 2720 to arrive!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
Calgary

Default LED replacement

Did you install a resistor, or can you simply replace the bulb?
Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
rumbleweed

After replacing a few of the bulbs in my ceiling lights with Led arrays, I noticed that they cause interference with the OTA TV reception. This more than likely not a problem as when you are dry camping ( with LEDs) you probably don't run the TV. But if you plan on using the TV while on hookups, you should not replace all the bulbs with LEDS. I replaced half of my dual fixtures with LEDs. Note this probably only occurs on the higher intensity bulbs as they are not powered directly ( with resistors) from 12V DC, but contain high freq driver circuitry.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
bobhcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
After replacing a few of the bulbs in my ceiling lights with Led arrays, I noticed that they cause interference with the OTA TV reception. This more than likely not a problem as when you are dry camping ( with LEDs) you probably don't run the TV. But if you plan on using the TV while on hookups, you should not replace all the bulbs with LEDS. I replaced half of my dual fixtures with LEDs. Note this probably only occurs on the higher intensity bulbs as they are not powered directly ( with resistors) from 12V DC, but contain high freq driver circuitry.
That is very strange. Even if they are using a voltage regulator which is unlikely since the whole array of LEDs is probably only drawing 100mA (0.1A), you wouldn't expect any significant noise. I have used LED arrays from superbrightleds.com and some from Amazon and haven't had any problems. From inspection it is clear that they don't have any active components. Where did you buy yours? Do you see an active component on the board? If you are using the boards with a 3x3 array of LEDs is the board insulated from the metal reflective plate in the fixture?

We mostly dry camp but we brought a TV with us on our last trip and didn't have any interference problems with all the LEDs on.