TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
blue_vett

also this is a great site for info http://www.sanrafaelcountry.com/san-...tinations.html
blue_vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #22
Gwenne & Len

We are at the Zion Canyon Campground, in Springdale, Utah.....1/2 mile from the Park entrance. LOVE this place!! We were here 20 some years ago, and it was a scruffy little campground.....well, prime property on the Virgin River in Springdale.....the inevitable happened. It is now a modern campground, good bathrooms, laundry etc.....shuttle to the Park is 100 feet from the campground entrance. One can walk to a market, restaurants.....no need to get in a car. My kind of place. Yes, the trailers are pretty packed in, but we are here to hike. The views are spectacular - right on the river, surrounded by cliffs. I'm loving the shuttle system for the Park - shuttles run every 7 minutes, no cars in the Park.....so it's quiet - just full of hikers. Absolutely gorgeous place - as good as we remembered from 20 years ago. The campground opens up it's reservations in january, reservations are made on line. We would definitely come back here.
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
Gwenne & Len

Default Ruby's Inn RV/Bryce Canyon

We moved to Bryce Canyon yesterday, and Ruby's Inn Rv Campground is great. We reserved months ago.....not sure how soon one must reserve, but the woman who checked me in said reserving early is important - they were sold out last night. Spacious site with many pines. Good store, showers, wifi (not secure), the Ruby's Inn (hotel) with restaurant, pool, general store is next door. There is even an auto repair facility in this tiny little 'town'. They do have a newly developed area that is essentially a field with RV's lined up.....I'm assuming our early reservation kept us out of that area.
2012 Highlander
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #24
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenne & Len View Post
wifi (not secure)
No WiFi is secure, no matter what it says. There are some things you can do to protect yourself.

1. Always use https: URLs for any data you don't want stolen. That is better encryption than WiFi security.

2. Don't install any toolbars or plugins in your browser. Many of them are spyware.

3. Use Chrome or Firefox, and keep it up to date, and _only_ download the browser from mozilla.org (for firefox) or google.com/chrome . Any other site will put spyware in the install. Unfortunately Microsoft Edge is still behind as far as security is concerned, and Internet Explorer is out of date and unsafe to use.

4. Consider using Ubuntu as a laptop OS, especially if you have an older laptop that isn't so fast using Windows any longer. It's free and updates are always free, keep it up to date. A lot of the crap that compromises Windows security doesn't run on Linux, and Ubuntu is fine for normal people to use. These days you don't need much other than the browser, and it runs the major ones just fine.

5. MacOS isn't bad, but only if you keep it up to date, which means buying expensive hardware reasonably often.

6. Don't keep phones or tablets that aren't getting OS updates. Unfortunately this is expensive to do. I am using Google's own Android phones (Nexus/Pixel) but they only promise updates for a minimum of 3 years after model introduction and 18 months after last sale.

I have run my servers on Debian Linux (ancestor of Ubuntu) since the 1990's, without a firewall. The only compromises we've ever had were of Wordpress - which is full of holes and must be kept up to date whatever OS you run it on.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
Gwenne & Len

Bruce......what do you mean by #!? Would you please explain? I have a 2 year old Mac that is updated regularly.

My nephew said that using one's hotspot would make it safe to go to a banking site - do you think that is true?
2012 Highlander
Old 05-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #26
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenne & Len View Post
My nephew said that using one's hotspot would make it safe to go to a banking site - do you think that is true?
Well, a cellular or phone hotspot is a little better, but not enough better.

Your browser will put a padlock icon to the left of the URL when it has a secure connection. When it does not have a secure connection, it will put something else there. If that lock icon is there, you have good security even on the open campground network or in Starbucks. Better security than that provided by your hotspot.

About the best way to break that is to allow your employer to install a "certificate" on your laptop. Then they can see anything you do at work.

Chrome is likely to be more secure than Safari because Google does a better job of keeping it up to date.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #27
Gwenne & Len

thank you, Bruce!! your info helps......
2012 Highlander