Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The coiled cables are self tightening. With chains I would have to use bungee cords to stop them from dragging on the pavement.

There are only two criteria, it seems to me, that must be met:

1. add the proper legal and feel good safety margin

2. are easy and convenient to use.
Safety chains should never drag on the pavement, except in those rare instances when you are going up/down a driveway where they will momentarily touch the ground. The slack in the chains should be adjusted so they ride well above the pavement and yet allow the vehicle to turn the tightest turn possible without "straining" the chain. See the hook up diagram below.

I use a "link" to attach my chains rather than the "S" hook. I loop the chain through the holes in the hitch plate and then attach the removeable link to one of the loops in the chain for a positive connection without the possibility of them coming loose through jarring. I began this type of connection with our Coleman tent trailer back in the 1980's when I lost the trailer because I had not seated the trailer hitch correctly to the hitch ball. The first bump I went over while leaving the campground caused the hitch to jump off the ball. Forturnately, I had used the crossed chain hook up, so the tongue remained off the ground and I was able to bring the car to a safe stop and reconnect everything properly.

I've since used the hookup described above with every trailer we've owned and have never had a repeat of the disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer hookup.gif
Views:	81
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2448  
Attached Images