TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Split Pipe

While on our first 2008 camping outing, I noticed water dripping from the grey water drain pipe just above the grey water dump valve. Closer inspection revealed a 2" split/crack in the lower area of the pipe. Evidently, I should have made sure that the grey water tank had been totally drained last fall. Oh, well, that's RV life.

The entire valve and drain pipe assembly appears to be one piece. If not, how does one remove the cracked piece to replace it?

I am thinking of just cutting a piece of PVC in half lengthwise and glueing half of it onto the lower side of my drain pipe to cover the crack. Any reason this won't work?

Thanks as always,

WGW
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Split pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG View Post
While on our first 2008 camping outing, I noticed water dripping from the grey water drain pipe just above the grey water dump valve. Closer inspection revealed a 2" split/crack in the lower area of the pipe. Evidently, I should have made sure that the grey water tank had been totally drained last fall. Oh, well, that's RV life.

The entire valve and drain pipe assembly appears to be one piece. If not, how does one remove the cracked piece to replace it?

I am thinking of just cutting a piece of PVC in half lengthwise and glueing half of it onto the lower side of my drain pipe to cover the crack. Any reason this won't work?

Thanks as always,

WGW
I had something similar happen on a trailer I had 10 years ago (not a TM). the fittings were made of many ABS plastic pipe elbows, and it would have been a big pain to repair it. The drain lines are under very little pressure, and there's always the possibility that this could happen again. So I got the bright idea to first get it completely dry, and then goober the proper pipe cement liberally over the crack which was on top of the pipe, in my case. The pipe was black ABS (not PVC) and so was the cement, so that when finished the repair was both effective and invisible. Of course, I had gravity on my side for my repair, unlike your situation.

I don't see how you have much to lose in trying, since the ultimate fix if it doesn't work is about the same as it was before you try this, right?

One more idea: They make rubber pipe patches with hose clamps that you can get in the plumbing section of a good hardware store. That might work for you, too.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Our member BobRederick has had good luck with JB Weld, as I recall. You can look for his posts. And of course you have seen (EVERYONE has seen!) the ads for Mighty Putty or whatever it is called.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
PopBeavers

My son got his Mechanical Engineering degree 2 years ago and is a backyard mechanic. He is forever fixing one of his mountain bikes that he uses for races.

He swears by JBWeld.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
BobRederick

WGW,

It sounds to me like a vertical section of pipe (or horizontal) is cracked. I would cut into the crack to make a V-groove, then fill it with JB Weld. Put a wide piece of tape over the patch to keep the epoxy from running out of the repair area. I have a plastic welder (about $19 from Harbor Freight) that would be ideal to seal the crack, but would probably put JB Weld over that for strength. FYI, the plastic is ABS and use that type of glue if you need it.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Thanks to all for your input. I now feel confient enough to attack the problem.

WGW
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote