TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
DeanKrahn

Default Old AC unit

Hi there...I just purchased a 2001 Trail Manor. So it has a Fedders model A2Q10F2GB-P in floor cabinet by the stove. Ideally I want just the front panel and mounting peg, as it is busted up and does not route the air floor.. If push comes to shove, I would replace the whole AC unit, but need to know what replacement model will fit in the same space.

Appreciate your help
Dean
DeanKrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

We have the same type. Even with the fins, it won't direct the air well. We sometimes use a second fan to circulate the air better. I believe a rooftop conversion may be the best option, but pricey. You would probably need to upgrade the front shell torsion bars to supportt the additional weight.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
DeanKrahn

Default 2001 AC unit

Thank you Larryjb...We just bought it, and the previous owner stated he was using a separate fan as well. But when I looked, the fins are broke, so no possible way to get the air right or left anyway.... Any clue who would have a front cover, that I could purchase? Have you looked into the model of overhead to use? I assume I can mount it on one of the existing vents...But you say still need to add support??
Dean
Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On my Westphalia, I hung an AC in the drivers window and made ducts to the other parts of the rig.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKrahn View Post
... the fins are broke, so no possible way to get the air right or left anyway.... Any clue who would have a front cover, that I could purchase?
You might start with the Fedders web site, right? Look for your model number, then the Parts or Parts Diagram page. Another possibility is to Google the words "Fedders parts" followed by your model number. It will come up with several appliance repair sites, and you can find your part from one of them.
Quote:
Have you looked into the model of overhead to use? I assume I can mount it on one of the existing vents...But you say still need to add support??
I think the opening would have to be enlarged quite a bit. And the roof might need reinforcement to hold the weight. And you would have to figure a way to get electric power to the new location. But the big problem, as Larry says, is that you would need to replace the torsion bars. You would have to get them from TM, and they are not cheap.

Unless you are very handy, I don't think this is a do-able project. My advise is to stay with what you have.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
DeanKrahn

Thank you...I have been looking all over the web for the cover..Not to be found. The particular Fedders model is no longer sold. So now I need to either find a comparable, to fit in the same space - which has not been easy so far, or go with roof mount. I understand with the bracing and all, that too is probably not a real good option..
Stuck...what I have doesnt work well, and the cover is taped on with louvers not working..

Has anyone out there done the research to determine a good option for the roof mount?
Thank you
Dean
Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Unless you are very handy, I don't think this is a do-able project. My advise is to stay with what you have.

Bill
Me too. As far as I'm aware, the Trailmanors with air conditioning in the top shell have internal reinforcement framing. You can't just cut a hole in the foam sandwich and expect it to hold the weight.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

What are the dimensions of your current AC ?