TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Thumbs down Government shut down and camping

We had planned on spending Thanksgiving with our daughter in the Everglades but that camping trip is now on hold because of the government shut down.
As an oh by the way with all government lands closed for all recreation this impacts people that have summer cabins on government lands, hunters, and leaf peepers.

It may also mean we can't get to our house in the Ocala NF since we have to cross government land to get to our land and house. We shall see later on today.

Has this shut down had an impact on your fall camping plans?

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I heard a news story that said that even though the national parks are closed, the roads used for access thru the parks and lands would remain open.

Fortunately for us, all of our fall camping is in state parks.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
rumbleweed

Interesting that there is no money to operate the parks, but there is money to pay staff to insure you don't use them???
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
TravlinOn

The problem of shutdown might extend even to those who plan to camp near a national park and view from the road. The link below speaks of "overlooks" on roads leading to Mt Rushmore being blocked to viewers ( ).

There are lots of "overlooks" near favorite places like the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Smokies and probably others near parks in the Rockies that might be blocked off - I don't know. Anyone planning to go any possibly affected area should check the local papers in the campsite area for any restricted areas caused the shutdown.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...r-South-Dakota
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
fourteener

I'm an employee of one of the Federal land management agencies (The NPS - please don't hate me), but take a moment and think of it from our stand point. We don't know when we can go back to work, we don't know when our next paychecks will come in,,,,,I just had to cancel a site-visit that will have a 6-8 month realized delay on the specific park involved. Overall our jobs are very reliable, even in these hard times. I really feel sorry for our seasonal staff that is being let go early due to the unknown. I apologize for everyone that is being affected, but take a moment and think about it as a business that has shut its doors. Lots of people don't understand why some of the Parks can't remain open, and that is because most people don't fully understand the level of vandalism, the number of accidents/rescues/fatalities, or what most of us simply do on a day-to-day basis to fulfill our duties. I would make a bet that the majority of Federal Employees are compassionate, motivated, and somewhat ticked off about this shutdown. We really only want to get back to work to serve you,,,,,the American People. I love this Country, my job, and if we were allowed, I would be working during this shutdown for free.

Please, feel free to take a moment and put something in writing to your representatives about the way this has affected you. I think it is totally irresponsible the way this has been handled, and I won't make any excuses for either side of the table.

Again, I apologize on behalf of all federal employees, and for those of you that have been affected.

Above all, take a lesson from those WW II Vets that broke down the barricade in DC, be stubborn tough Americans, and get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
clown9644

It certainly isn't the fault of the rangers and other federal employees. It can only rest on the shoulders of one man who refuses to negotiate in this or any other item that he sets his mind to. Are we starting to really really really miss Bush yet.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Fourteener -

I cannot imagine why you would be apologizing for the idiocies going on in Washington. The instructions to "make life as difficult as possible for people", as relayed by a park ranger, can certainly not be blamed on the ranger - or you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Vote wisely and insist on term limits for the house and senate ......

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
kempert
Site Sponsor

Smile

To TrailManorMan:

AMEN!!!

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Michoshisho

Just to clarify...the Park Rangers and the rest of us federal workers who still have to show up for work every day during the shutdown ARE NOT getting paid. Yes, we are working for free, and all leave (including sick leave) is cancelled. We don't know when our next paycheck is coming either. I am looking at changing this weekend's camping plans since I can't take Friday off.