TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Grizzly

Default tongue tool box or storage under chassis

I would like to add external storage to my 2006 2720 for leveling blocks, wheel chocks and jack pads. I would like to be able to access it easily when the trailer is in the down position. I was thinking about a tongue box, but I have the swing away hitch. Have you seen TM's with boxes like these with a swing away? Has anyone mounted boxes under the chassis? I have headroom on GVWR so I am not concerned about the adding hitch weight.

http://www.etrailer.com/Toolbox/RC-M...ng/350990.html

Thanks,
Dave
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't know what kind of tow vehicle you have (why don't you add it to your signature line?), but I juat grabbed a beer box (banana box for the purists), and keep my towing stuff in it. Chocks, drill, hitch clip, magnetic level, cheater bar for the springbars - I keep it all in the box, just inside the upper tailgate glass of my Explorer, so everything is ready at hand when I get to a campsite. Cheaper than a $431 tool box, too, but not as pretty.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
I would like to add external storage to my 2006 2720 for leveling blocks, wheel chocks and jack pads. I would like to be able to access it easily when the trailer is in the down position. I was thinking about a tongue box, but I have the swing away hitch. Have you seen TM's with boxes like these with a swing away? Has anyone mounted boxes under the chassis? I have headroom on GVWR so I am not concerned about the adding hitch weight.

http://www.etrailer.com/Toolbox/RC-M...ng/350990.html

Thanks,
Dave
2 things you may to think about. One is the position of the box on the tongue. If its too close to the front roof when down it may interfere with raising the roof. Other thing to consider if you were to place under the chassis is ground clearance when you enter or exit a driveway or possibly a road hump. The dolphin action at the hitch may create a clearance issue. I carry a box as as described in the second post with all my set up gear. Wheel block, cheater pipe, etc. In the older units, the rear bumper storage like mine also was an area for those easy to get items while the roofs are down.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Don & Ginger

Default Box

We have the swing away hitch, this is the box we use. Has worked out well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	7796  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Grizzly

Thank you for the picture of the box. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Was it custom made or did you buy it? If you purchased it do you remember the MFG name and Model?

Thank you,
Dave
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Don & Ginger

Default Box

I just measured the space available and made it out of plywood with a pine frame. Gave it a couple of coat's of paint. I keep wood blocks, handle for spring bars, level,and a tester for the 120 volts, 2 short chains for the hitch and a electric drill in there. If you look at the picture I had to use a circle cutter to make it go around the tongue jack.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Every one in awhile I think about building one. But I am too lazy. I just use a large plastic tub and throw in in the back of the truck between the motorcycles.

I have 8 chocks (two trailers), two leveling ramps, Coleman lantern (I arrive in the dark), flash lights, headlamp (my head), lug wrench (folding spinner), extension cords, and a few other things I can't think of.

I have to remove it from the TM when I store the TM in the garage so I could not permanently bolt it on.