TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
sojofamily

Exclamation Shell catches

Over Mother's Day weekend my family wanted to take a trip and do some remote camping at Lake Pleasent AZ. I scouted the area the week before with my bronco II and felt confident that I would be able to take the TM in with my usual TV. After about an hour and 1.2 miles we reached the campsite. When I got out and started to set up the trailer I realized that the catches that are in the middle of the trailer that actually hold the shells down had pulled off. I didn't realize it, but the road was too rough for the trailer.

I have not come up with a repair plan yet, but I did come up with some words of advice... If you are considering taking your TM off of pavement purchase the yellow ratchet straps at Home Depot for $12.95 each, and use them (3 of them) one for the front part of the front shell, one for the middle of the trailer, and one for the rear shell. Fortunately I always carry rope and was able to secure the shells for the trip home. Just remember, if you won't take you sports car there don't take your TM (without a little extra insurance).
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Those latches are held on with ordinary nuts, as I recall. Since there is so much vibration and shock at this location, it is a good idea to replace those nuts with nylock nuts, available at any hardware store.

Taking a set of straps along is also a good idea, for many possible uses beyond this one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote