TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
YogiCorgi

Default water-pump strainer?

I removed the hard plumping next to the water pump and installed an accumulator...greatly reducing pump noise in my 3124KS and increasing water-system performance. The pump manufacturer recommends a strainer be installed as well...however, this was not done my TM (that I can find). I'm thinking about installing an in-line strainer in the outlet hose at the base of my water tank, it's the only place I can easily access the system to install and clean the strainer. Has anyone installed a strainer? Is it really necessary? What are the pros and cons?

Here's an example product:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81117032.htm

Thanks for Any Feedback,
Bill
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
rumbleweed

[QUOTE=YogiCorgi;78047]I removed the hard plumping next to the water pump and installed an accumulator...greatly reducing pump noise in my 3124KS and increasing water-system performance. The pump manufacturer recommends a strainer be installed as well...however, this was not done my TM (that I can find). I'm thinking about installing an in-line strainer in the outlet hose at the base of my water tank, it's the only place I can easily access the system to install and clean the strainer. Has anyone installed a strainer? Is it really necessary? What are the pros and cons?

You don't say what year TM you have, but it looks relatively new. The TM water tank has a built in strainer in the tank on the outlet line. You can not see it. I have added a 5" marine water proof deck plate in the top of my tank which allows easy access to the inside of the tank. Although the drain hose gets most of the water out, about 3/4" always remains in the bottom. Over time this will grow nasty stuff in the tank. I use a wet/dry vac and empty it through the deck plate prior ot any long term storage. You can also clean and inspect the tank and screen as well. search for my post on the deck plate install.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
YogiCorgi

Thank you Rumbleweed, it's a 2009 and the tank is under the sink. I'll take a look at the deck plate install...I love the idea of cleaning the inside of the tank as well as the strainer.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCorgi View Post
Thank you Rumbleweed, it's a 2009 and the tank is under the sink. I'll take a look at the deck plate install...I love the idea of cleaning the inside of the tank as well as the strainer.
I used to have a 2720 with the tank under the dinette bench. I installed an inspection plate and did the same thing. I did it because there were visible chunks of plastic in the tank from the manufacturer of the tank. Now we have a 2720SL with the tank under the sink. It's not quite as easy to do on that tank.

Actually, a cup of bleach in 15G of water and a drive around the block cleans the yucky stuff out of the tank pretty well.

I have Koi fish ponds in my apt building. The rocks in the ponds get black with moss & mold in about 3 months. I take out the fish (one pond at a time), pour in 2 gallons of bleach, let is set for 2 hours. Then I and empty the tank. Rinse it out and refill. The rocks come perfectly clean and shiny. After 24-hours I put the fish back in and I've haven't lost a fish in 12 years.

This procedure works the same way in the TM water tanks. Sanitizes them and cleans them good as new.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
rumbleweed

I have he 2720SL with the tank under the sink and it is not as easy as if it were under the table. I used a utility knife ( Box cutter) with a new blade and slowly worked my way around the line I drew using the deck plate as a template. I also found lots of plastic chunks in the tank as well. I use the bleach method at the beginning of the season on the entire system, but use the clean out to completely dry the tank after each outing
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I have he 2720SL with the tank under the sink and it is not as easy as if it were under the table. I used a utility knife ( Box cutter) with a new blade and slowly worked my way around the line I drew using the deck plate as a template. I also found lots of plastic chunks in the tank as well. I use the bleach method at the beginning of the season on the entire system, but use the clean out to completely dry the tank after each outing
You are a very patient man........

A hot-knife might work well and cut easier than a box cutter.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
YogiCorgi

Thanks Wayne...I can see where the bleach and water cleans the tank, but I don't see how this cleans the strainer (that's apparently inside the tank). How does TM expect one to clean a strainer installed inside a tank? When you opened up your other tank, was there a strainer inside?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I have he 2720SL with the tank under the sink and it is not as easy as if it were under the table.
Bob -

Do I understand that you put the deck plate in the side of the water tank? Or did you find enough clearance to install it on the top of the tank, and use it there?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
rumbleweed

Bill

Put in in the top of the tank. Only hard part is cutting hole. Plenty of room for rest of the work. See attached Photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3129.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	5361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3130.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	5362  
Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I think if I were to cut that, I would at least consider removing the sink to do so.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote