TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Unhappy Refrigerator operation at high altitude

I used my Norcold N300 refrigerator at 8000 feet for two nights on propane. It got down to 25 degrees (too cold so we backed off the dial) according to my wireless transmitting thermometer but cut out before morning. After that I couldn't get it to stay on. We used our generator to get it down then loaded it with ice to maintain the cold after that. The manual says that the performance is degraded above 5500 feet and may experience burner outage. Now I can't get it to stay lit even at sea level. So I am taking it to a dealer for repair and service.

Anyone had success at high altitude?

Bob W.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

We have used our TM Refer on propane at 7,600+ feet in Sequoia NP and at 8,500 feet or so in Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite. I found myself tweaking the dial to keep things cool during the day and warmer at night, but was able to keep things dialed between the freeze / too warm zone with only moderate effort (I use a $5 frig thermometer).

Sounds like you might have something else going on if it will not work at sea level.

Good luck,

Kevin
Old 08-26-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Cateye
Cateye

Default Refrigerator at high altitude

I agree; we routinely camp above 8,000 ft in Colorado and have never experienced the problems you described. We have a digital thermometer attached to the front of the refrigerator and make minor adjustments as necessary....
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
hal

Default Refer

Our group recently camped at high altitude. (9900 feet at Leadville, Colorado) Most of us, especially with later model TMs had considerable difficulty getting the refers to start. We were advised to try to push the thermocouple further into the igniter's pilot flame. This worked for most of us. It is also advised to remove your radio and to tighten a fuel line connection that is located in this area.

One TM needed its gas regulator adjusted to allow more air for mixture with the propane. This did the trick for him. Unless you know how to make this adjustment properly, it is recommended that this task be left for someone who does.

Hal
Old 08-31-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Refrig fixed

Hal,

How do you know what the right position for the thermocouple is?

The regulator, I was told by the dealer, could be adjusted by removing the black hex cap on the regulator. Then he says you turn it one turn for each 1000 feet above a certain level. Do you have any more information or know where to find it?

I had my refrig fixed, that wouldn't stay lit, by an authorized dealer. They replaced the interrupter, a two wire device between the thermocouple and the safety valve. It now works at sea level again.

Bob
Old 08-31-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi. At 8,000 feet the standard pressure is 10.92 psi. About 25% less air pressure than sea level.

If the LP orifice is of constant size, the ratio of fuel to air in the combustion chamber at 8,000 ft. will be much higher (too rich) and even worse in hot weather when density altitude is higher than standard atmosphere and the air is even thinner.

The result is that any combustion-driven device will lose efficiency (and maybe even the flame itself) due to the rich mixture. You have to either find a way to decrease fuel flow (maybe that's the adjustment that was mentioned) or increase the air flow (some units have an adjustable slider on the inlet air pipe) but I don't know enough of the details to offer any advice other than if you can see the flame you can usually tell if it is healthy or if it needs adjustment. In high-hot situations, you can normally bet it will need more air or less fuel.

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote