TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

Default Factory installed 80watt solar panels (need quick answer)

The factory will start building my 2720SD the first week of August. I must make a decision by the end of July. This is my first camper and I would like to be prepared for any eventuality, however, I am on the fence concerning this option. I have read on this forum that the placement and weight of this equipment affects the torsion bar adjustment. Can this equipment be retrofitted at a later time should the need arise or is it better to have it factory installed.
Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Redhawk

Our local dealer told us they can install the solar panel option at any time. We have the option, and it seems to lift fine, but I don't know what it feels like without one??? I'm always of the opinion that you should order it the way you want it, I can't help thinking the factory would do a better install.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Scott O

I don't know who installed ours, but it works and lifts fine. It is an important option if you intend to camp without electrical hookup.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I don't know who installed ours, but it works and lifts fine. It is an important option if you intend to camp without electrical hookup.
Only if you camp in the sun.

All of my research suggests that since I almost always camp in a dense forest in a deep valley, any solar panels on the roof would get very little direct sunlight. Shaded solar panels produce very little power as far as I can tell.

I rely on my generator for about an hour per day.

If I were to camp in the dessert or the plains it would be a different matter.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Cool

An alternative is to add a separate solar panel and controller ( 60 watt setup about $400) I built a collapsible frame from PVC I can locate it in the sun.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I don't know what the factory charges for their set-up but you can buy 80W solar panels for around $300 each. If you want a regulator, you can buy one for anywhere from $15 - $125. Installing the system is not hard.

The panels weigh about ~10# and I doubt that would have any appreciable effect on the raising or lowering of the roof. If it does, it should be able to be adjusted out ~fairly easily.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I don't know what the factory charges for their set-up but you can buy 80W solar panels for around $300 each. If you want a regulator, you can buy one for anywhere from $15 - $125. Installing the system is not hard.
The List Price For The 80 Watt Panel & Controller Is $1166.00 On Their Web Site
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Scott O

Wayne brought up an important point regarding the output of a solar panel. From what I have read, output drops dramatically under less than ideal conditions. Any shade, cloud cover, even angle of the sun can have a serious impact. I certainly don't count on ours to supply all of our power needs. In thinking about it, I'm not really sure of the usefulness of the 80 watt panel...especially since our camping habits have changed and we always have hookups now. When we made our purchase 2 years ago, we intended to do some dry camping in the desert, so the panel made some sense. But I decided not to risk damage to the TM on the lousy desert roads so we don't do that, rendering the solar panel rather useless. But it is still pretty cool, and it should supplement the TV charge when towing with the refrigerator on 12v!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
rumbleweed

A few thoughts on installed vs portable panel.

If you are using the SP to replenish battery you are not using the AC so most likely you will be parked in the shade at least in the warmer months. SP is of little value in the shade.

Installed Pros
convenient
Always with you
no set up

Installed Cons
Cost
Must park TM in full sun
additional weight & holes in roof ( potential for problems)

Portable Pros
Lower cost
TM does not have to be in full sun ( some limitations on distance)
Can be left home if shore power avail
No additional roof work
Can easily add capacity ( more panels ) if necessary

Portable Cons
One more thing to pack
Not as convenient
set up required
Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
The List Price For The 80 Watt Panel & Controller Is $1166.00 On Their Web Site
That's just plain outrageous IMHO........

First off, there is little value in a charge controller (regulator) with an 80W panel, unless you leave it hooked up for long periods of time without using power. It doesn't take a genius to unplug the panel if the battery gets to 14.5V, which it won't if your camping.

I had 4 - 80W panels on my yacht (which is no more than a big camper) and I had no regulator. Although, I did install a diode to keep the panels from discharging the batteries at night. I lived aboard for 14 years with them. They were in full Sun constantly (depending on weather) because I spent most of my time in the tropics. If I went out of the tropics, it was only during the summer.

Having the panels so that you can set them up remotely is an excellent idea. You must consider 2 things. Be sure to use adequate sized wires to avoid voltage drop and be aware of theft. I'd recommend buying a 100', 10G extension cord from a hardware store and use that to wire your panel. That way, you can plug & unplug it easily for set up and you won't experience any voltage drop under full charge.