TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Default Loose Screws...How often?

We purchased our TM Sept 1 of this year. While at camp, during our maiden voyage I had nothing better to do so I tightened all the exterior screws. I figured vibration, torsion, buffeting by the wind, normal loosening, over time it could not hurt.

This past weekend on a trip while cleaning the interior before breaking down camp, I tightened all the interior screws.

I can not stand anything coming apart or seeing loose fasteners on a floor (sometimes you can not find it 's origin).

I prefer fire prevention over fire fighting.

Is there a recommended time frame for this activity?

Does anyone else have a regimen? Or am I so "Type A"?
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Screws shake loose, so your regimen is not a bad thing. I tighten them when I see them loose (or out), rather than on a schedule. But nothing wrong with a schedule - or making the rounds before a big trip. Long term, the best approach depends on the type of screw involved. Is it a wood screw? Sheet metal? Or is it a bolt and nut?

In my TM, there was one screw that repeatedly came loose. It was in one of the hinges in the cabinet door under the oven. After tightening it several times, I decided that it was best to "make" some new wood. The old carpenter's trick is to remove the screw, grab a couple wooden toothpicks (some people prefer the tip of a bamboo skewer), slather some wood glue on the toothpicks, push 'em into the hole, and snap them off flush with the surface. Wait at least 24 hours for the glue to dry, and run the screw back into the hole. Works like a charm.

If the screw in question is a machine screw, get a tiny bottle of Lock-Tite or ThreadLock from the hardware store. Be sure to get the removable grade (blue?), not the permanent-forever grade (red?). Loosen the bolt, put a tiny drop on the threads, and screw the bolt back in while the goop is wet. Works like a charm.

If the screw is in sheet metal, the answer isn't quite so clean. You can try the ThreadLok, and it may help. But if the hole is enlarged and the screw is loose, get the next larger size screw. Works like a charm.

The shaking and vibration that any RV undergoes will continue to loosen screws. It is unavoidable. But it should be minor and occasional. Nothing should come loose just from backing out of the garage!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

For cabinet hinge screws, I find it easier to drill a thru hole and replace the wood screw with a machine screw and washer & nylock bolt. You can't tell the difference from the outside, the nut on the inside doesn't hurt anything, and you will NEVER have to deal with that screw ever again.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I replace screws in sheet metal with pop-rivets when they come loose. Never have to think about it again. If I need to remove it, a drill takes it right out.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Redhawk

Main ones on mine that come loose are the ones holding the cabinets to the floor. I had to use the toothpick trick too.....found the missing screws while on a mouse hunt.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Make sure your TM tires are balanced. This will solve a lot of the screws coming loose. After I had mine balanced, I traveled over 40,000 miles without loose screws.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
cochise

I simply used a tube of "LIQUID NAILS ADHESIVE" (clear for small projects). I squeezed it into the screw holes and than drove the screw back in. The liquid nails adhesive remains "gummy" and will hold the screws so they don't turn. And the screws can later be extracted with no problems. Price for the tube: about $ 3.00
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Make sure your TM tires are balanced. This will solve a lot of the screws coming loose. After I had mine balanced, I traveled over 40,000 miles without loose screws.
I had new tires put on about two weeks ago, balanced, with steel valve stems.

Previously, I saw no weights on the tires does not mean it was not balanced but...
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Redhawk

It wasn't the tires shaking on mine....it was the darn rough roads I have to take to get to the areas i like to camp. Bouncy bouncy.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Screws inside the oven

I opened the oven to light the pilot and found that the solid metal "shelf" was only attached by 1 screw. Both back screws and one of the front ones were rolling around on the bottom of the oven. The gas line is attached to this and so this would not have been our first choice. We reinstalled the screws and everything seems fine but you might want to check . . . It has only been a few weeks since we were out so we can only guess that if one comes out, it shakes enough to back out the rest.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote