TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
MikeBiondo

Default Do I need to disconnect the battery???

Hello folks,

We are getting ready for our inaugural trip in our new, to us, 2001 TM2619. We will be in a campground hooked to shore power for about a week.

I had to install a new battery as the one that came with the TM wouldn't hold a charge. I will be starting out with a fully charged battery, but running the fridge, for the 6 hour drive to the campground.

During the week we will be hooked to shore power, do I have to worry about the charging system in the TM2619 over-charging the battery? Or do I need to take daily voltage readings, and then disconnect the battery from the charger when the battery is fully charged? Not that's a super hassle, but if I didn't have to bother that would be nice.

Thanks...

Mike - saving his pennies for a battery monitor - Biondo
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

For a week you shouldn't have to worry about it, may become a problem if you leave for a month or longer in which case just check the fluid levels. After 6 hours with the refrig on DC the battery could be pretty well discharged. Really depends on the size wire in the TV charge line. Also don't forget the Norcolds on DC donot regulate refrig temperature. You also may need to disconnect the TV if you stop for awhile as the refrig could draw down the TV battery also. This depends on TV configuration, some have isolation relays that disconnect the charge line when the TV is shut off.
Check this thread for a lot more info,
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10986

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Brutus

Hey Mike, welcome to the Trailmanor family! Personally, I've never worried about overcharging, but then again, our trips are never more than two weeks at a time. Quick thought on your '01 TM. Did you check the DOT date stamp on the three tires ("DOT XXYY" where XX is the week # and YY is the year produced)? Anything over 5 yrs is pushin' it. See the "Tires-Tires-Tires" for our collective experiences. Maybe check that the hubs are greased. TMs are tough units as whole. If any issues pop up, check the forums here first. Most likely, someone has had that issue already. Otherwise, enjoy your trip!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
MikeBiondo

Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated. Good to know I can leave the battery connected to the TM charger for a week and not have to worry about over-charging.

Thanks also for the tip on the tires. I know the spare is original, as the PO mentioned that it has never been on the ground. I don't recall if he said the other two had been replaced. I did grease the hubs though.

Since the water system is still drained, I decided to check the anode on the water heater...hmmmm, it appears the PO must have missed that paragraph in the manual! Not much of the anode is left and there is quite a bit of what appears to be anode sediment on the bottom of water heater...which brings up another question on flushing, but I'll move that over to the Plumbing forum.

Thanks again for your input...

Mike-
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mike -

Actually, with a TM of your vintage, you should NOT disconnect the battery while you are camping with shore power. Unless the converter has been replaced, it puts out pretty dirty power, and relies on the battery to filter and regulate it.

If you search this board on the term "Magnetek" or "Parallax", you will find some discussion. Look especially for posts by Mike Laupp, but others have made similar contributions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

This thread talks about which circuits are filtered and unfiltered:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11228

While I think the thread goes way beyond the scope of your question, it might be interesting reading for you.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiondo View Post
Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated. Good to know I can leave the battery connected to the TM charger for a week and not have to worry about over-charging.

Thanks also for the tip on the tires. I know the spare is original, as the PO mentioned that it has never been on the ground. I don't recall if he said the other two had been replaced. I did grease the hubs though.

Since the water system is still drained, I decided to check the anode on the water heater...hmmmm, it appears the PO must have missed that paragraph in the manual! Not much of the anode is left and there is quite a bit of what appears to be anode sediment on the bottom of water heater...which brings up another question on flushing, but I'll move that over to the Plumbing forum.

Thanks again for your input...

Mike-
Hi Mike,

If your spare is 10+ years-old it is not safe to use. Again..........see the tires thread.

I would highly recommend servicing the wheel bearings on a 10-year-old trailer that you don't know anything about (I personally would replace the bearings). Chances are, they may not have ever been serviced. The bearings should be disassembled, cleaned, checked for pitting and bluing (burn spots), packed with new "WHEEL BEARING" grease and reassembled every year or 2. The less the trailer is used, the more often it needs servicing. Sitting is the hardest thing on most trailer parts, especially tires and bearings.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
This thread talks about which circuits are filtered and unfiltered:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11228

While I think the thread goes way beyond the scope of your question, it might be interesting reading for you.

Dave
Agree with you Dave about this thread going beyond the scope of Mike's original question (and I obviously started it with my tire inquiry). It's just that my antennae went up when Mike mentioned buying a 10-yr-old camper and the seller gave him a dead battery. Immediately invites questions on other key areas to try and prevent Mike's next thread from being titled "Maiden voyage a disaster". (Not like that has ever happened. )

{Edit} Not trying to scare ya Mike. Your 2001 TM is a great unit! You just gotta watch out for a (very) few "gotchyas" like running old tires. Those few areas are well documented in the forums. Forewarned is forearmed...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
gocamping58

Please help me to understand. I boiled 2 battery"s last fall. If I am connected to shore power, I can have the battery disconnected? If this is true then adding a disconnect switch will be a plus.

Electricity & I don't get alone. I stay away from it & it stays away from me.

Where would be the best place for the disconnect switch, positive side of battery or negative side?
Also the 30 amp fuse. Should it be on the positive side or negative side?

Thanks for the advise in advance.
2007 JEEP COMMANDER TV
2002 ASTRO VAN TV (TOASTED)
gocamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Denise and Bill -

It would be helpful to know which converter you have. If you open the brown louvered door near the floor outside the bathroom, you will be able to see a make and model number.

If you leave the TM in extended storage with shore power plugged in, it may overcharge - although the 2006 models should not. That's the reason for determining the converter info.

The battery fuse (30 amps) is installed in the positive battery wire. Removing the fuse is just the same as installing a disconnect switch. If you really want a separate switch, you can install it in the positive line, beyond the fuse (in other words, connect battery-to-fuse-to-switch-to-camper).

One thing you should NOT do disconnect shore power for several days while leaving the battery connected. The parasitic loads in the camper will drain the battery in a week or so. If the TM is in storage, you can disconnect the battery and leave shore power connected - but there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to do so, unless you go in and out of the TM during storage.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote