TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Bilge Pump

Many kudos to he or she that suggested the use of a bilge pump to get water into the TM. We just returned from 11 nights out in our 2619 in Colorado campgrounds where they have never heard of pressurized water systems. The REI bilge pump worked like a charm.

Thanks a bunch!

WGW
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

After one try at lifting a 7 gal container of water and trying to hold a funnel while pouring and getting soaked on top of hurting my back, I too, was extremely happy to find such an inexpensive solution to my problem. I also got an inexpensive folding hand truck so I can tote the water vessel with wheels by bungeeing it to the hand truck. (my water sources are not alway near my TM) Much better!

Cheri
Old 02-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Renewables

Default REI Bilge Pump

Is this the product everyone was referring to?

http://www.rei.com/product/684985

Dave
Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renewables View Post
Is this the product everyone was referring to?

http://www.rei.com/product/684985

Dave
Yes
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
camp2canoe

A few thoughts as to "rewatering".

We carry 3 collapsable 50' hoses in addition to the regular hookup hose and a "water thief" used to hook up to spigots where the faucet threads are stripped. In many campgrounds this will get us to a spigot.

We often bring 2 eight gallon water jugs in the back of the truck and have worked out a fairly easy way of adding that water to the tank. DW holds an automatic transmission funnel - this is a plastic contraption with a flexible spout and pretty good capacity. I carry a two step stepstool in the TM and with my foot on the upper step can rest the jug on my thigh so my arms don't have to bear the entire weight of the jug while pouring. This works pretty well even for two middle aged deskpushers.

With reference to the bilge pump option, a similar (perhaps identical) kayak bilge pump is available at West Marine (www.westmarine.com) as part # 839625 for $19.99. You may find that West Marine has a closer store than REI. West also carries several electric pumps including the Water-Buster Battery Powered Pump (part #447235), a 3 D cell self contained unit with 200 gph capacity, for $36.99 which could be used to pump from a bucket into the TM fill port. To flip a switch would sure be easier than standing there pumping! - camp2canoe
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
larsdennert

For those of you who carry a drill for the stabilizer jacks, I use one of these drill pumps to change axle gear oil as it is impossible to get the oil back in the axles otherwise. One of these could work great for water too.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...le&cm_ite=pump
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Larsdennert...that is cool!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Renewables

Looks like a great solution if the hose is long enough on both ends to reach into a 5 gallon water container and reach into the TM water in-let. I am presuming that lift height like this up to the TM is a non-issue with this pump? I carry my 9.6 volt Makita drill with me every where I go, so it sounds especially useful for camping as well.

Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
larsdennert

It says 50ft head. I think it's positive displacement vs centrifical. No problem pumping up a few feet. Just don't run it dry so it doesn't burn the seals.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
jbrooks

We have been dry camping in many outfits for years. The guys hook up the same water pump as in the TM, mount it on a board and put hoses on each end. They then back up the truck with the water barrel on it and pump in the water by connecting the pump to the truck battery. Works great.
Judy
Hannah (4 yo Mini Schnauzer)
3023 TM Reese WDH
'99 4Runner w/factory tow package