TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
suzannem

Default air conditioning fan

the only way my roof air conditioning fan will start is if i take the inside cover off and give it a little "tweak" to get it started. it will not start by itself. it runs fine after that, produces lots of cold air, etc. can anyone give me some ideas for some self-maintenance work? thanks in advance!
suzanne
Old 03-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Unfortunately, no. The fan is "factory lubricated and requires no service under ordinary conditions." The problem is most likely a bad "run cap", and you can't fix it. It has to be replaced. Or the wire to the "run cap" has become disconnected, and unless you are quite handy with electricity, you don't want to go digging around to see.

Fortunately, it is not an expensive fix (to the extent that any work at any RV shop is inexpensive ...).

If this unit is less than a year or three old, this will be a warranty item. When my A/C died, Dometic was very good about the warranty.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
live2shopnc

Wouldn"t it be the start cap. if it runs fine after a little help?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're probably right, and it makes more sense. However, when I checked the wiring diagram, I found a start cap for the compressor, but none for the fan - which has only a run cap identified. It may be that the Start cap is not shown in the diagram. Or it may be that, unlike the compressor, the fan motor is so small that a single cap serves both purposes. Or the fan motor itself may have a problem. I don't know.

Nonetheless, I don't think Suzanne will be able to fix it. If she gets tired of tweaking it, it is a job for the pros.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
suzannem

Default air conditioning fan

hey guys, thanks for the info. after reading your comments, i decided i am not going to tackle this repair. i forgot to mention my air conditioner is a coleman mach. of course i did not purchase the 3 year extended warranty (like an idiot) so this one will be out of pocket. i really appreciate your input. go zoni!

suzanne
2003 2720SL
2003 Toyota Tundra V8