TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2002, 11:37 AM   #1

Default towing

Could anyone advise me if I could pull a 23' trailer with a 1999 Ford Explorer V8(5.0). I'm being told that anything over 20' would be a problem because of the short wheelbase of the tow vehicle.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
oilspot

Default Re: towing

I don't think you'd have any problems if you used a weight distributing hitch and tow a trailmanor.  

Towing a full size trailer of that size is a different story...
Old 12-07-2002, 01:49 AM   #3
PAUL_R

having gone to a larger trailer from a trailmanor, your best bet is to stay with a trailmanor model unless you are prepared to move up in tow vehicle size. you could tow a 3023 model with your current vehicle...believe me only trailmanor can offer you such advantages.

paul
29ft hi-lo (great trailer, but weight is a problem)
dodge 1500 ram 5.8l 3.92 axle, tow package
Old 12-07-2002, 05:12 AM   #4

oceannanna,
We don't have a TM yet, we tow the one of the largest popups available (Coleman Niagara) with a V-6 Explorer. The short wheel base can be a problem, however if you have sway control it makes a big difference. From what I have seen and heard towing any of the TM's should not be a problem with a V-8 Explorer as long as you stay with in your weight restrictions.

Aaron
Old 12-07-2002, 10:17 AM   #5

Oceannanna,
We have a 2002 3124KS TrailManor and pull it with a 1997 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L. The TrailManor tows great! The Explorer has no problem and is stable. We do use a weight distribution hitch with built in sway control.  
Old 12-07-2002, 11:01 AM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Oceannanna,

I had a full size Dodge 250 van conversion, and I did not have to have a sway bar attached to the weight distribution hitch. After buying the new Durango, I experienced sway when pulling the 3326 King. The Durango has a shorter wheel base and can cause the problem. The same will be true with your Explorer. Spend the $125.00 for the sway bar, and you will have pece of mind when motoring down the highway.

Buy the Trailmanor and the required towing accesories, and you will be happy!!

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote