TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Joesplace

Default Gray water tank hole

Driving today and could not avoid a truck tire tread that hit my gray water tank and it split open from outlet about 4 inches long. The tank is split not the drain pipe.

Question is can I order a tank and change it out myself or is this a major operation that needs factory attention?
Joesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

The split might be repairable. Others have made a paste using ABS pipe shavings mixed with ABS glue and then patched the crack with good success. If you do a search on grey water tank repair, you can get more details.

Good luck

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Lotsa luck on a repair we had a class C and a passing car hit one of them goodyear gators that got yours. The result to ours was replace the drain valves; ripped one off and damaged the other. Never was able to get a successful repair on the tank crack.
Tank replacement should be fairly easy, our gray water is completely separate from the water dump. If yours goes to a single dump gluing stuff together maybe an issue. For some reason I have never been able to get the black abs piping and glues to work together. Some say you have to get the abs really clean.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

If you decide to replace it. I would think if you are somewhat that is handy it's not that bad. Otherwise I would think just about any RV shop should be able to do it for an hour or two of labor plus parts.

I would contact a Trailer dealer that will order the part and have it dropped shipped to your house.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Here are some previous threads about the grey water tank:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...rey+water+tank

I also recall reading some where people were able to put a patch on the tank...

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=abs+patch

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=abs+patch
Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Joe -

I really urge you to view tank replacement as the final option. As reflected in B&D's first link, the problem (at least in my 2002 TM) was that the tank sits directly below the tub, so that the tub drain pipe pokes directly down into the tank. Either that drain pipe is not glued into the tank (in which case the tank will leak when full, but you should be able to remove it), or it is glued into the tank (in which case you can't remove the tank without destroying it).

Beyond that, I think you will find that a new tank is breathtakingly expensive.

After a lot of false starts (often involving trying to use PVC cement on the ABS fittings), many of our members did develop methods to repair cracks in the tank, and breaks in the drain fitting. B&D linked a couple good discussions, and I'm sure you will find more using the Search tool. As someone else mentioned, the first step in crack repair is to drill a hole in the plastic at each end of the crack. This distributes the stresses and prevents the crack from propagating.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Joesplace

I know everybody has seen the commercial of putting a screen door in the bottom of a boat a spraying it with this liquid rubber and it floats without any leaks. Well I used a can and it sealed the split and leaks only a few drops. It's called Flexseal and worked ok after 4 coats.

This will be my fix till I have time to find out if the shower drain is glued to the gray water tank.

Thanks for all the help and we are having great time on Route 66. We have been across 3 states and its much better than the interstate.
Attached Images

Joesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
64tbolt

2 of my friends have had their fresh tanks plastic welded @ an rv dealer. They both have had success with the repair.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

How would one know if the plumbing is glued into the tank or not? I overfilled my gray tank to the point it was backing up out the tub drain but it was also leaking from the top of the tank. I assumed that was a vent, but now I wonder. I have a nasty crack in my gray tank and I'm trying to figure the best way to attack it. Local RV place wants $125 just to put eyes on it. Also to those who have made the ABS cement/shavings repair, where did you get the ABS cement? I can't find it local anywhere.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

ABS cement is made by Oatey (same folks who make PVC cement). It is not in the Glue section of the store, but you should be able to find it in the plumbing section of almost any hardware or big box store. A quick Google on "ABS cement" will help.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote