TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Default Thetford

Well I joined the club of having to pull the thetford from our TM. I noticed that when i added water to the toilet i could hear a “glub glub” sound and could not see any water in the bottom of the tank. I tried several troubleshooting ideas and always found that the water I added was leaking into the drainage pipe. So I took Bills advice and ordered part # 09872 from Amazon along with flange seal #33364 according to the thetford website part list. Should have my parts on Monday. The hardest thing for me removing the thetford was getting the plastic wedges out . I did follow Bill’s instructions posted on this forum and they are very explicit and easy to follow. I’ll start cleaning the toilet tomorrow and getting things ready for when the parts come in. I’m also thinking of taking out the old vinyl flooring and adding new vinyl sheet flooring that Is about 1/8 “ thick , which will be slightly thicker than the original, do the bolts need to be adjusted to accommodate ? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jimmy and Rose -

Thanks for the good review of the process. You ask if the slightly thicker flooring will require you to adjust the hold-down bolts slightly? Almost certainly yes, although it should not be a big deal, especially now that you know how to get the wedges out. You need to set the correct height not so much with a ruler, but by the feeling as you insert the wedges. If the wedges slide into place with a gentle tap, then the bolts are too loose. On the other hand, if you need to beat them into place with a hammer, they are too tight. Try to choose an adjustment between those extremes. A single turn one way or the other will make quite a difference.

The ultimate test is really this. When you get the toilet re-installed, put some weight on it and see if it rocks. If it rocks quite a bit - too loose. If it rocks only a tiny bit - or not at all - you are good.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and all the great info you put out on the forum, we’d be lost without you ! I now have the confidence to tackle the redo tomorrow. Have to give all the parts a good cleaning first . Thanks again
Texas
Old 02-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Default Success!

Well, we did it ! We got the toilet back in and no leaks! Took some adjusting since I added a new floor, but its firmly attached without being extremely tight.
Thanks again for all the great info on this forum ,couldn’t have done it without all the proper info. This forum rocks!
Texas