TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Exterior Finish

Every time I see a used TM, especially those that are stored outside (even if they are covered) I notice they all seem prone to black streaks that are difficult and time-consuming to remove. A trailer that is absolutely pristine on the inside, and is obviously well maintained, will look pretty crummy on the outside. I've seen discussions of several different cleaning products on this site; some seem to work better than others.

When we had the Coleman--or Colemen, since we had several the finish was baked on and I could get the grime off easily at the car wash, or at home with a pressure sprayer.

My question relates to how the material on the TM is finished. Does TM paint it or buy it already painted? Why is it so much harder to maintain the TM finish? Why does it streak so badly? Is there any clear-coat or other finish that will lessen the streaking? Has anybody ever asked TM, or heard any discussion during a factory tour? Seems like such a simple thing to fix, since there is evidence that others in the industry have figured it out.

With so many superior features, it just seems odd that the TM is so much trouble to keep shiny. It's not enough to cause any significant heartburn, and I certainly don't intend to go back to the Coleman, but I'm curious nontheless.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Exterior Finish

I don't think that this problem of black marks is just typical of the TrailManor. I sure have seen a lot of trailers in campgrounds with big black lines going down the sides.

Grease lightning that I get at Wal Mart does an excellent job taking off the black marks. Spay it on and let it soak. A scrub brush takes them right off without a lot of elbow grease.

Once you have the streaks off, and your camper is clean, spray Protect All on. Just wipes off and gives you a great finish which lasts for several washings. The Protect All prevents black streaks from forming on the finish. If you do get black streaks later on, some soap and water will take them off quite easily.

I bought a small bottle from Camping World, and the gallon jug to refill the bottle. Cheaper this way. Buy yourself a bottle to see what you think. If you like it, get yourself the gallon refill. Our 1994 3326 King was 8 years old when we traded it in. When people saw it in campgrounds, they thought it was a new one. I always told them that I wash them and then use Protect All. I guess that's why the dealer sold it the second day that it was on their lot.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Firefly

Great tip, Bob!

As new TM owners...we will get some Protect All and try it out this spring when she comes out of storage.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

The TM aluminum exterior is treated at the factory with KrystalKote. This finish stays bright and shiny for years without waxing or other treatments like "clear-coat".

Black streaks usually show up because of water and/or rubbing of rubber parts on the trailer. We always used 409 Industrial or Simple Green to pre-treat those spots and streaks. Using a scrub brush to lightly brush (very little elbow grease required) resulted in the marks and streaks disappearing. We used to wash our TM 2-3 times during the season (March-October) and it usually looked pristine except just before washing.

I hope this provides you with another answer or 2 to your question.