TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
OffToDaRaces

Default Upgrade to LED Taillights

My next project, replacing old style taillights with new LEDs. I just received a pair of the LED taillights currently being used on new TM's. Eddie, at TM advised me that they are an easy "swap out" and are just a bit larger than the OEM's.

My concern surfaced when I removed the old set of lights. I noticed that the OEM lights have a ground wire that is attached to the metal bracket that holds the bulb recepticle. That is then "grounded" using a screw thru the aluminum shell. That doesn't seem like a very good ground to me. When I tried to reinsert the ground screw, I was unable to even get a little bit of pressure to make the proper contact.

The LED set also has ground wires, and I am at a point that I don't want to have to remove the inside panels in order to have a proper ground. I thought about using rivets, but I am afraid that the pressure required to collapse the rivets to bond the connector to the shell, would end up punching mores holes in the aluminum.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToDaRaces View Post
I thought about using rivets, but I am afraid that the pressure required to collapse the rivets to bond the connector to the shell, would end up punching mores holes in the aluminum.
I've used pop (or blind) rivets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet, and the tool/rivet works very well on the Trailmanor's aluminum skin: Strong with no other marks or holes.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
OffToDaRaces

Default Upgrade to LED taillights

I thank you sir for your quick reply. I am glad to hear that someone else had the same idea, about the rivets that I did. I have used rivets on other projects, but was afraid the skin was to thin on TM. Again, thanks for the input.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Jim&Joan

Default Which ones?

Any part numbers or sources for the new LED modules?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
OffToDaRaces

I ordered mine from TM. I talked to Ed, he told me about them so I bought them. After I received them and saw that they are made by Bargman, I searched their website Bargman.com and found lotsa other neat stuff for future projects.

The price for the set from TM was a bit pricey, $140.00. You would have to check the Bargman site to find a dealer near you, to see if a better price can be had. No instructions came from TM about mounting the lights, I had to wing it. I found that using Rivets for ground connections, and "Jack Nuts" for mounting the lights made a sturdy mount. Be sure to Caulk the installation well before final assembly. I used 3M 4200 Marine grade adhesive sealant, also a bit pricey.

Good luck to you for your "future project" OBTW, you have to have a seperate mount for the license plate, and also back up lights, if you want them. For the back-up lights I sed a set of narrow, White LED driving lights, From Advance Auto. I mounted them to the bottom of the taillights and used the existing wiring for that job. Not really a bad looking package when finished, and it satisfied my requirement for better lighting on the rear of the TM

Hope this info is helpful. I like this forum..
Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
retiredgoat

How about some pictures of the mod, it sounds cool.

Bob
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
OffToDaRaces

I tried to upload a few pictures of the LED taillight and rearview camera installation, but I don't know where they went. I thought I was following directions, but I guess not. I will see if I can find them.

SchrimpBurrito advised me that I put the pictures in an album. Guess I have to reread instructions on how to post pictures to the thread.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You put them in your photo album instead of uploading them to the thread. They are here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=7687

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote