TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
TrailGuy77

Default Weak Brake Action/Pull To Left

Upon departing for my trip I discovered my trailer brakes to be weak and noticed a pull to the left while depressing the brake pedal on the tow vehicle.I tried adjusting the controller with little change.My Dexter manual lists a few possibilities that I will look into.I am hoping it is the brake
controller as I have never liked it from day one.My previous TV had a Tekonsha brake contol that was FAR SUPERIOR to the Draw-Tite IMHO.

Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

IMO it is unlikely to be the controller since it supplies power to the TM brakes through one wire out the hitch connector.

It's probably a wiring issue where one brake is getting power but the other is not. Possibly bad connections in the TM wiring or in the affected brake itself, a failed brake magnet or a mechanical problem in the affected brake.

Here is where a good clamp on DC ammeter becomes helpful. Of course, the Dexter T/S procedure will also be helpful.

If you have a magnetic compass you can hold it next to each TM wheel as an assistant actuates the brake controller. The needle will swing toward the electromagnet in the wheel if it is getting power.

Jack up each wheel, one at a time and check for braking action.

What a great way to spend a camping trip. Best of luck.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
AstroBruce

Could be that one of your trailer brakes is not working. I would guess an open circuit to one of the magnets.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The most common problem is one of those darn wire nuts have corrosion in it. Try twisting the wire nuts under the trailer, next to each axle, tighter and see if that does it. Also check for a broken wire around the axle and backing plate.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
TrailGuy77

Thanks Everyone,

I will use your advice to help troubleshoot the problem.If all else fails,I will take it to my dealer as I will likely have to anyway for other issues.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Scott O

I agree with Wayne...the brake wires are very exposed under the TM. And they are connected with cheesy little wire nuts. I would check there first.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Joseph

Default Grease the bearing lately ?

Had some grease leak past the rear drum seal and get on one of the TM breaks this spring. ( Maybe after getting too excited with the grease gun.... ) My TM did the same as you are describing. Have you pulled the drums to take a look?