TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
rjlwork

Default Sirius/XM radio

Looking into a Sirius/XM radio for my DH. Will it work in the TM with the fixed antenna? Or do I have to purchase a separate docking kit? Don't know anything about these, so please respond in "Sirius/XM for Dummies" language
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlwork View Post
Looking into a Sirius/XM radio for my DH. Will it work in the TM with the fixed antenna? Or do I have to purchase a separate docking kit? Don't know anything about these, so please respond in "Sirius/XM for Dummies" language
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Judy, it will need it's own special antenna. Here is link to some videos on installation, activation, etc.

http://www.sirius.com/vehicleinstallation
Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
rumbleweed

Here is a link to the home kit you will need. Essentially the key element is the external antenna, which just sits on the TM roof or another surface and points toward the satellite. It will have some reception issues under heavy tree cover in the summer. Not sure on the mini, but your radio should have an input jack for aux input. The tuner input can be connected there to play thru the TM radio. Be aware you need a subscription approx $10-12 per month. The good news is that the home kit can be used at home and the radio can be used in the car or TV on your way to your destination. If you buy the car kit, it will come with an antenna, but it is a pain to continually move it from the TV/ daily vehicle to your TM. There are also many aftermarket companies that sell just the antenna.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7872
Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
rjlwork

I'm thinking he would like a portable model he could use at work, in the car or the TM. Is it better to still mount one in the car and then have multiple antennas elsewhere? If I get the portable unit, do I need all of those antennas? Obviously, I'm confused which unit works best for his needs; he's a autobody repairman, so I think one with headsets that he could pocket or attach to himself would be better utilized. And yes, the Mini has the same stereo inputs as the other TM units. So if I figure out the antenna issue, we can play it through the TM speakers. Thanks for the input!
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Jim&Joan

Default My experience

Basically, you need an antenna at each location you want to use the receiver. So, it either needs to be premounted or you have to move an antenna around with the unit (not to practical for vechicle application).

My experience with the Sirius unit in my truck is that it does not take much tree cover or blockage to drop the signal. My antenna is factory mounted on the front of the cab roof. In FL while driving down a lane with no overhead trees, but a tall line of pines to my southwest, I lose the signal.

We are just looking to put a radio in our trailer and decided that the satillite radio won't work for us as we camp in the trees normally. Perhaps there are better antenna with higher gain or radios with better sensitivity, but I haven't found anything yet.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
rjlwork

Thanks Jim&Joan,
My sister just told me the Ipod Touch and Phone now carry XM/Sirius as an app. Going to check out that option; much more portable.
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
TraceyMac

For the iPod Touch to work as a satellite radio you will need to be in WiFi coverage to get the signal (as it actually comes over the internet, and not via satellite). Needless to say, WiFi coverage while camping is an exception, rather than the rule. For an iPhone, you must be somewhere with good phone reception as the phone will get the radio feed over its data connection with the AT&T network. I would not consider the satellite radio apps on an iPhone or iPod Touch to be suitable for most people for that reason.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Harry Womack

Default xm antenna

I have XM radio in our trailer and the antenna is mounted on the roof. I also carry an extra antenna with a 50 foot cord to use when parked under the trees.
I keep it rolled up an stored in the refrigerator hatch on the outside of the trailer.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
rumbleweed

My recommendation.

Get one that mounts in the car ( not permanently installed.) It simply attaches to a location with sticky tape or seveal other methods, The mount easily snaps off and can be taken in the Autobody shop to play through a sound system. It can also be taken with you in the TM and connect to the stereo. You could use the same antenna for all but continually removing the antenna from the car is a pain. I suggest you mount one in the car or TV and leave it there. Then get the indoor antenna, Most have a small pre amp built in so you get a little better reception. That simply sits on a flat surface and points toward the sat. That could be used in the shop then simply taken with you and place on top of the TM when you camp. Unless you camp in very high end campgrounds near highly populated areas ( Yuck!) the ipod/iphone will not work. Many places I go my Iphone has no signal ( Yeah!)
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
rjlwork

There's a new device called a skydock that works with the Ipod Touch that has the antenna built into the cigarette lighter dock. I'm thinking this would be much more portable between the vehicles and the TM. Won't do anything for the bodyshop, but he could listen to recorded music and earbuds. Thanks for the suggestions, I think the idea to carry the antenna with a 50 foot cord would work for us too. Looking further into the skydock connections to see if an aux antenna could be added. The main reason to change focus to the Ipod Touch is the option to use it other than just radio. The sirius/xm radios uses a huge boombox to play outside of a vehicle and there are lots of speaker options with the Ipod.
Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous