TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
BucketsII

Default Seals Lifespan

Looking at a couple of Trailmanors- 8-10 years old. (2004-06)
At that age will I have problems with the roof seals having dried up and not sealing? If so, what is their costs and how hard to replace?
Looking at 2720's.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

All depends on if the previous owner or owners did any routine maintenance to the seals. The vinyl can be wiped down interior and exterior with soft cleaner and compounds to keep the material soft. If they are just left to dry out, they can crack as any material exposed to the sun over years can. Owners that store their TM inside or under cover are decreasing the exposure. My 3124 is too big for inside storage and I don't have a cover so I do some routine wipe downs when I wash and detail after camping. I've owned 2 TM's over the last 13 years and have found the seals to be fairly resilient to exposure. Meaning, they can take quite a beating and still do the job there intended to. My suggestion is to inspect thoroughly, bend them back and forth where possible, touch and feel them for cracks and if the vinyl feels dry or cracked. Look for mildew tucked in behind the folds or crease of the seals. I use a bleach soft scrub product almost everywhere I can reach...

I don't have any idea what they cost to replace. There are one each on the roof 1/2's and several when you count the flaps along the sides and rear.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
moaboy

I've not been as diligent as you have but do try to keep mine clean. Seems like it would be smart to rub them down with a conditioner after they are cleaned.