TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2002, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Dumping Black Water

Since all of the sites at the campground I stayed at this weekend had their own sewer connection I had a chance to observe my neighbor's technique for `dumping'. It wasn't recommended.
To make a long story short he used his bare hands to dump and disconnect and stow the hose which had been connected all weekend. I don't know what he did after that, it was too late for breakfast and too early for lunch, but it wasn't much later that they drove off. And this was an experienced camper!

My suggestion for newbies is that they invest in a box of disposable gloves (100 gloves cost about $8) and use them once to touch the `dirty' stuff like the hose, fittings, and the cap over the back bumper. Assume that anything you touch with a gloved hand after dumping will be contaminated.
When finished pull the gloves off inside out and dispose of them in the garbage.

Obviously, any other arrangement is not recommended such as bare hands, gloves that are used over and over again, etc.

If you are really clever, you can put on a new pair of gloves and do some of the messy things outside of the RV `prior' to dumping, eg. disconnecting the water lines, stowing the electical cord, etc. - then dumping. Not the other way around!

Sorry for the lecture...

Dick_B

Old 09-17-2002, 06:15 AM   #2
PAUL_R

Default Re: Dumping Black Water

don't have any stock or work for the company but for the 15 months we have owned our unit,we have used the sewer solution set up.....hands free no mess.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:15 PM   #3

What is the sewer soution? ???
Old 09-18-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
PAUL_R

check out their wed site www. SewerSolution. the sewer solution is a jet pump system for rv waste. water powered jet pumping system that requires,no moving parts, no gloves, no smells, no handling of bulky tubing.

at bit expensive, but hassle free. in fact, the wife does all the gray/black water dumping because of the sewer solution ease.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
dlajoie
Site Sponsor

Default Sewer Solution

Here is a picture of my recent installation of a Sewer Solution device on my 2003 2720SL. Because of the gray water dump valve handle, a 5 inch extention was required. I also bought adapters to use the outside shower hose as the water source. I have not actually used this at a campground yet having only run clear water through the toilet and gray water tank to test it. My concern is that any solids from either might plug the 3/4 inch outlet hose. Has anyone on this site had any problems with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0011.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2001  
dlajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
BobRederick

dljoie,

I have the macerator pump sold by Camping World. It feeds a 3/4" pipe and I have had no problems with clogging. It grinds the stuff up real fine before discharging it. I am unable to see what you have on the ground in your photo so cannot guess how yours will work.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default cross contamination possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlajoie View Post
I also bought adapters to use the outside shower hose as the water source.
Do these adapters ensure that your drinking water system is not contaminated by the waste?
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Since the recommended procedure for emptying the holding tanks is to dump the black water first, then flush the sewer hose with the gray water tank contents, I don't understand why gloves are necessary. But, I keep gloves around for this and other jobs that CAN turn messy.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
Since the recommended procedure for emptying the holding tanks is to dump the black water first, then flush the sewer hose with the gray water tank contents, I don't understand why gloves are necessary. But, I keep gloves around for this and other jobs that CAN turn messy.

Happy Camping!
I agree with the DEACON. In addition, I keep a second hose handy to rinse the sewer hose and fittings after I'm done with the dump. I put a clear adapter on the dump valve first, then the hose so I can visually see what is happening. After the gray water dump, I remove the clear fitting from the dump valve, run the clear water through it thoroughly rinsing the fitting and the attached sewer hose. After removing the clear fitting, and rinsing it once again, I continue to rinse the sewer hose and make sure it has no water left in it. When I place it back in the bumper storage, there is nothing left except a few drops of clear water.

Done properly, there is no reason to wear gloves, IMHO, but I also wash up using waterless hand cleaner and paper towels kept in the back of our truck with the other supplies.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
MissingTheNW2001

Default Not Surprised

I have to say I'm not surprised that some folks don't see the need, are simply too lazy or perhaps too cheap to use latex gloves.

I travel almost every week and when I use the men's room, I'm constantly amazed (doesn't matter where I go in the great USA or how nice the establishment) at how many men don't wash their hands after urinating much less anything else. Its disgusting. I addressed it with a coworker privately one time and he tried to rationalize to me that he doesn't wash because the sink knobs are dirtier than his hands. I thought he was kidding. When he refused to come off his position, I told him I would never shake his hand again. And I haven't. Ladies, I'm not kidding when I tell you the number is upwards of 20% of men who don't wash afterwards. No kidding!

I remember the first time I ever dumped our gray/black water and afterwards, I looked at the latex gloves. Stained with lord only knows what. I can't imagine that being my hands. And the sad reality is often times this activity takes place as you leave the campground and there's no real place to wash your hands effectively as most campgound restrooms do not even have soap!

Just remember, the next guy's hand you shake at the campgourd could be that guy who doesn't wash after using the restroom or use latex gloves after a trip to the dump station!

Jeff