TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
jhill30

Default corner latches

one of my corner latches that clamp the camper down has pulled out (stripping the outer skin and anything behind it out). Any suggestions on how to fix this? My initial thought is to just move it down about a quarter of an inch and drill new holes. any better ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
rumbleweed

search the forum for latches. There are several great threads with fixes that have proven themselves.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Two of my latches on the curb side came out just as yours did late last Summer. I called Ed at TrailManor, and I asked him to send me 4 small pieces of the aluminum that they use on the TM. I bought J-B Weld at Lowes at glued the aluminum piece on to the existing aluminum. Of course, I cut it down to the size of the piece that attaches to the wall of the unit. I used the J-B Weld to glue it, and then I also glued the small piece of the latch to the the unit. Then, I put the screws back in. Works fine. This way you have new aluminum for your screws, and it also might go into the wall where the old holes aren't to give you added strength.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
jhill30

good idea, i have tried putting some liquid metal in the holes and re-drilling, but that was a waste of time. I think i will try to find some larger screws first, then if that doesn't work, try patching with another small piece of aluminum as you suggested. I am not sure if there is anything behind these holes or not, looking up into the holes it appears that there might be (or might have been) wood behind the skin to help strengthen it. if so, it is no longer of any help.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I seem to recall a method of using glue and toothpicks to fill in the stripped hole with what effectively becomes a wood substrate, then re-screwing into that. Many report success with that approach. There are rubber-backed anchors mentioned on this site, as well, that might work, if the above-mentioned fix is not for you.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
I seem to recall a method of using glue and toothpicks to fill in the stripped hole with what effectively becomes a wood substrate, then re-screwing into that. Many report success with that approach.
That will only work when the surrounding material is solid. The inside of that wall is styrofoam, so that won't work. (also, bamboo skewers are more effective than toothpics due to their stringy grain)

Quote:
There are rubber-backed anchors mentioned on this site, as well, that might work, if the above-mentioned fix is not for you.
Good idea. Wayne (harveyrv) suggested using these "wellnuts" for other applications. They are apparently used to secure roof racks to the roof on cars. Search the site for wellnuts for more info. But note you'll have to drill some pretty decent sized holes. For the size screw you'd be using to mount that bracket, you'd probably have to drill a 3/8" hole.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
jhill30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
The inside of that wall is styrofoam,
Really....styrofoam. No wood, aluminum tubing or nothing to hold these down?? I would consider these a fairly high stress point. WOW, hopefully TM will change this. To me, just putting a small piece of tubing in the wall at these areas would eliminate this problem. I will have to do something, I guess I can't just drive around without it latched...???
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I'm sorry...I actually don't know if there is any backing material behind those latches. If there is indeed wood, you should be able to determine that by sliding a drill bit in there and sliding it around. And if you find wood, use the small bamboo skewer repair method ThePair mentioned.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
jhill30

Don't be sorry, you are trying to help, and I am grateful for that. I promise I was not trying to vent on you personally. If I came across that way, "I" am sorry. I hope there is something behind them, this would be a real easy fix with that method. I will let you guys know what I find out. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It is a high stress point, but the stress is parallel to the plane of the aluminum. If it were perpendicular (in the pull-out direction), it would be a different story.

It is possible, I suppose, that the hold-down latches are screwed down a little too tight. These are light weight assemblies, and aren't intended to take the full stress of keeping the shells closed - that is done by the big latches near the center. If your corner latches have pulled downward to the point where they have ripped sideways through the aluminum skin, they are too tight.

Bill

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote