TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Campsite in National Parks?

I have read in many places, and found it to be true, that in order to get a site at non-reservable National Park campgrounds, you should arrive at the campground before 10 a.m.

I was able to do that at Glacier National Park by stopping just short of the NP, and staying one night in the neighboring National Forest. But, if there isn't a nearby National Forest, what do you National Park-experienced campers do? Stay in a nearby private CG for a night, then head to the NP the next morning?

After a long day of driving, I would rather park and be done, instead of having to "stage" to get into a NP campground. Suggestions?
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
But, if there isn't a nearby National Forest, what do you National Park-experienced campers do? Stay in a nearby private CG for a night, then head to the NP the next morning?
That's what we had to do many years ago. And it was a real dump. Never again.

Since then, we've avoided the very popular N.P's during July-August. Only go to them in the spring or fall. Besides, if the campground is full, you know the sites within the park will be crowded as well.

So we go to the less popular but equally beautiful parks and N.F. sites during the high season. Of course I'm retired so we're more flexible than others ...