TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
JOEALAN

Default 30 Amp fuses

Good morning,

Need a little assistance. What size is the 30 amp fuse? I open up my trailer for the second time and check all systems and everything seems to be working just find. Check the converter box to see how many 30 amp fuses, and more or less what they look like. Look simple enough. Went to the local auto parts store to buy spare fuses and discovered two fuses almost identical except one was wider than the other. One looks like about 1/4" wide and the other is approx. 3/8" wide. Now I'm not sure which one is the right size and I was planning to take our Maiden voyage this weekend to Casini Campground, Duncan Mills, CA. I wasn't planning to open up my TM until I get to the campground, but I don't want to leave without spare fuses. Also, I counted nine 30 amp fuses in converter box and I know there is at least one in the bathroom and one at the battery box. Any other sizes I should carry? I would think purchasing the fuse puller would be a good investment. So any other fuses that we should know about and what sizes? Any tricks in pulling them out, or do they simply pull out? How many spares do you think we should keep on with us?

Thanks for all the help

Joe
Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Joe,

There are two popular sizes of the plastic pull-out fuses you are describing.

Here is a good picture:

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2...g002_size2.jpg

The one labeled "Maxi" in the picture is not found in the Trailmanor. I cannot remember off hand whether the Minis or the standards are in the Trailmanor, but someone here will know for sure. They simply pull out. I use a pair of needle nose pliers, taking care not to exert too much pressure to prevent breaking the plastic. A fuse puller will work too...they cost about $1. If it's the same size and looks right, it will fit. They are a standard form factor.

I would just carry an extra fuse for every type I have on board. Since you don't want to open yours up, I would just get a variety pack. Fuses are cheap, and in a pinch, it you don't have one that is the right rating, you can always try one with a slightly lower rating. I didn't think there was a 30A fuse in the converter compartment (but I haven't checked closely lately), but like you said, there is definitely a 30A one in the battery box, which is an old-style glass fuse (unless someone changed it). There is also an old style glass fuse in the toilet. You have to pull the top cover that sits between the button and the gauge (2 screws), and inside you'll find an inline fuse holder for a glass fuse...I believe it was either 5A or 7A, but I can't remember for sure. I have had that one blow, so be sure to get an extra one of those too.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
bfezel

Joe,

Your DC Fuse Board in the converter box will use the "ATC" type fuses. I recently switched my converter to a Progressive Dynamics 9260C with the built-in charge wizard. At the same time I installed a new fuse board with filtered power to all the circuits and two 30 amp fuses. Inless you have one of these type boards I don't remember that you will find any 30 amp fuses on that board. Get a handful of 15 amps and a few 20's. Other than the 30 amp at the battery that should take care of your needs.

Bill
Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Travler

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezel View Post
Joe,

Your DC Fuse Board in the converter box will use the "ATC" type fuses. I recently switched my converter to a Progressive Dynamics 9260C with the built-in charge wizard. At the same time I installed a new fuse board with filtered power to all the circuits and two 30 amp fuses. Inless you have one of these type boards I don't remember that you will find any 30 amp fuses on that board. Get a handful of 15 amps and a few 20's. Other than the 30 amp at the battery that should take care of your needs.

Bill
I would switch that buss fuse in the battery box and switch it to a blade fuse. They are easier to find.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote