Thread: Elkmont mpg
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
mtnguy

No expert on any of this, but here goes.

All Wheel Drive and Full Time 4 Wheel Drive are pretty much the same. If the car feels slippage between the front and back wheels, then the 2nd axle kicks in for traction. That is what the Subarus have, as well as a number of minivans and some other cars.

The kind of 2 wheel drive found in trucks and off-road type SUVs is called Part Time 4 Wheel Drive. You have to physcally shift a lever to go to 4 wheel high or low. 4 wheel high can be driven at highway speeds, and even shifted on the move.......which I don't like to do unless I am going slow. A Part Time 4 Wheel Drive system should not be driven on dry roads.......it needs some slippage between the axles to relief stress on the system. Most of the part time systems also have a low range for rock crawling in the moutains, or if you need extra low speed power, as in beach driving. You can not shift into low range unless you are completely stopped, and in neutral in most of these systems.

You should be able to tell which is in a vehicle by looking inside. A Part Time System will have an extra floor shifter, or buttons or a knob on the dash for the 4 wheel drive.

I have a friend with a 2006 Taco 4x4. I thought he said he had a 6500 lb. tow rating.