Thread: Elkmont mpg
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
mtnguy

I think the weight that have listed for the F150 Supercab is way off. The cerificate of origin on my F150 Supercab 4x4 was 5286 lbs........I can't believe that the new ones are 1600 lbs. more with 2 wheel drive. Now that being said, I ran the truck across the scales and it weighs in at 5800 lbs, with a bed liner, Trac Rac rails, a WDH ball mount, a tool box in back, ~3/4 tank of gas, and my personal things stuffed at varioius places.

A midsized truck may serve you well, as the Elkmont is pretty light for a conventional camper. I can't argue with your assesment of the advantages of a mid-sized pickup.

The point about the Canyon weighing about the same as a trailer is a good one. My TV and trailer are about the same also. There are plenty of units out there where the trailer is way over the TV weight.

Seems like you are doing your homework, and are well on the way to becoming an informed and safe travel trailer owner. A quality WDH with intregrated sway control such as the Reese Straight Line or Equalizer should serve you well, also.