Thread: Elkmont mpg
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
mtnguy

I don't think the F150 would be overkill for the Elkmont. Heck, I didn't even consider it overkill for my 2720. It is better to have too much tow vehicle than too little. And I am a believer that sometimes a bigger engine will actually give you better gas mileage (and of course more power) than a smaller engine that is working too hard. By what I have read on some of the forums, I should be happy with my gas mileage pulling a conventional trailer. Of course, a lot of that could be in driving technique.

I haven't done a lot of research on the Chevy Colorado (or GMC equivalent) or Dakota, Frontiers, or Tacos, as far as gas mileages, hp, torque, and wheelbases. The Elkmont is a 24 foot conventional trailer, and is probably more prone to sway from traffic and cross winds than the fold down TMs. All of the compacts listed might do a fine job with the Elkmont, but for me I would be more comfortable with a full sized truck......especially in the wheelbase category.

Even though I am a Ford guy, the Ranger would not be an option for me towing the Elkmont.