View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #40
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Does it have to be centered? You multiply by 8 with your method, correct Wayne? The example 2 posts above didn't have it centered is why I ask. Thanks....
No,It doesn't have to be centered. The equation above is accurate (if the measurements are perfect). However, whatever distance that you put the tongue from the fulcrum point and the scale must be very accurate to achieve accurate results because any error will be multiplied by the distance. The longer the beam, the less impact of an error. No measurement is perfect. You will find that these measurements will be far from perfect.

It's not a huge deal but in my mind, there's no point in weighing if you don't try to get this most accurate weight possible. I even checked and adjusted the accuracy of the scale with 250# of weights from our gym. Every pound that the scale is off equates to 2# difference in tongue weight.............. 1/2" error in measurement here, another 1/2" there, footprint on scale........There are so many variables in this type of weighing that it would be easy to be off by 50#, if they aren't all as accurate as possible.

When I weigh mine again, I will build a pyramid with different size blocks of wood on the scale to increase the distribution of the footprint on the scale. I think that my weight was pretty accurate but that 2" footprint on the scale bugs me every time that I look at that picture.....

I'm thinking that I have put nearly 70# on my tongue since that picture was taken. (Solar panels in fwd bunk 40# + larger batteries 30#). That stuff really adds up. I have shifted the way that I store things inside the trailer to the back.