View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I am really excited that you are doing this. In fact I (for one) would be very happy to chip in some $ to help defray your cost.

I am assuming that they will charge you $9 for each extra weighing. That could get pricey but the info gained would be invaluable to most here.
The scale does not cost me anything but thanks for offering. It is an unattended self-serve truck scale. My only expense is the time involved since it is about a 40-mile round trip to use it. If the round trip with the TM wasn't such a pain I would probably have done it already.

The scale is easy and quick to use. Just last week I happened to be driving by it in my new Tundra and decided to do a quick weighing. It added less than one minute to my commute home from work to find out that my Tundra's front axle weighs 3400 lbs and rear axle weighs 2300 lbs with 1/3 tank of gas, me, and no payload. This tells me that I have another 1400 lbs below the GVWR (7100 lbs) to accommodate the tongue weight, additional passengers, fuel, and payload (and ultimately the tonneau cover I plan to get sometime this summer).

Our payload is going to be a genny (sometimes), an ice chest, and bicycles and perhaps whatever chairs and pop-ups I no longer will carry inside the TM. I would think 300-400 lbs of supplies depending on whether the genny comes. There would be 250-300 for the additional passengers and 100 pounds more for a full tank of gas. That leaves 600-750 for the tongue weight and tonneau cover.