View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 06:18 PM   #1

Default After Market Tongue Modifications

In order to fit my new-to-me 1999 TM 2720SL in the garage, I'll need to have the tongue modified so part of it is removable. I understand from the local dealer that a swing-around tongue can be ordered from the factory with new models. For after market modifications, the tongue has to be cut, the ends of the tongue pieces sealed, a "sleeve" made for the tongue pieces and pins added. Has anyone had this done? I've looked at the tongue of the SL model and wonder how it will work, with the propane tanks mounted on their sides and the spare tire mounted underneath. I also wonder how this will all hold together. This is my first trailer and I questioned that the pin holding the hitch in the receiver would actually do its job.  

However, made it up and over the Grapevine without problems when I brought the trailer home from north of Modesto to southern California. As an aside, it towed like a dream up the Grapevine. Did have weight distribution hitch with sway bar. Used 3rd gear in my GMC Safari RWD with AC off; maintained speed of 45-50 mph. Engine temp below 210 (the mid-point) without a transmission cooler, which I need to have installed. Nice to know the trailer handles well and the van can handle the load.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has had the tongue or rear bumper modified to fit in a storage place.

This forum is a wonderful source of info. What good timing that the "New Trailmanor owners" thread is going on now! Have really learned a lot about Trailmanors from all of you.

Collette
1999 GMC Safari Van
1999 TM 2720SL