View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Scott -

If the refrig cools on DC when the tow vehicle is running, then the problem is not in the refrig.

It sounds like something is weird in the converter or the power distribution - but I can't imagine what.

As for the frig "not cooling on DC unless the tow vehicle is running", that is definitely not right. However, it sounds like a misunderstanding. When set to DC, the refrig draws a lot of current and can quickly exhaust the TM battery. The recommendation is that you not run the refrig on DC unless a) the tow vehicle is running, or b) the TM is connected to shore power. In those cases, the current drawn by the refrig will be replaced by either the tow vehicle's alternator or the converter.

The easy way to test whether the refrig is running? Switch it to DC, wait half an hour, then go outside and remove the vented panel over the top of the refrig. Put your hand inside the compartment, and feel for heat around the top of the vertical tube on the right. If there is heat, the refrig is running. If not, then it's not.

Having said that, I suppose it is possible that there was a change in the '07 models, to prevent the refrig from killing the TM battery. But I think this is highly unlikely.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote