View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Dish - Portable

I have Dish Network, and I take it with me!

Never have had, nor need, a telephone hook-up. If one wishes to order on-demand movies or events, or pay your Dish bill via satellite, then a phone is needed.

I bought a discount Dish, tripod and Satellite Tuner for about $100 or so. I take the Dish master receiver box from the house when we travel. At destination, I input the Zip code into the setup menu, and the azimuth and elevation are displayed. Plug a 50' coax into the reciever and antenna. The el/az values from the rcvr box are set coarsely using a simple compass to align azimuth and using marked elevation angles on the dish to set the angle. The tripod stand is leveled using a 2D bubble leveler.

The critical part is the Satellite Tuner. It employs an audible signal plus a meter to properly aim the antenna precisely for the stongest signal. I align azimuth first(max possible sig) then elevation. Works so well that I've not yet missed achieving a strong reliable signal - even when shooting thru trees which obscured up to 1/2 of the sky in the aiming direction.

I run the coax in thru the flap next to the Winegard TV antenna connector, abeam the reefer, then directly to the Dish receiver. Works great. Wouldn't want to be without C-Spam whilst on the road!

NB: this has not been a paid advertisement for Dish TV, nor is it in support of any candidate for any office. I approve of this message.

Denny_A