Thread: Cadillac
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 weighs 4,000 pounds when loaded.

I don't like to tow at the limit. I prefer the 80 percent rule. 80 percent of 5,000 pounds is 4,000 pounds. That would make me comfortable.

Your trailer weights 2742, then add the weight of the options: awning, a/c, etc.

What size water tank? When my 40 gallon tank is full and the water heater is full then I have 380 pounds of water. When I leave home I have all that water. When I leave the campground a lot of it is in the gray tank until I find a place to dump it. The fresh water is in front of the axle, adding to the tongue weight. The gray tank is behind the axle, subtracting from the tongue weight.

Also understand the weight of extra stuff in the van, such as other passengers and gasoline. This all subtracts from the total weight.

You can probably keep your weight down to an acceptable level for short weekend trips, but I don't think you will be able to take a trip out of state for a week or two without running into weight limits.

I don't want to scare you, but I do recommend that on one of your trips that you weigh it and adjust accordingly. Some people are content to tow overweight. I am not.