Thread: 2619 or 2720?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
grakin

"1. How well do the TMs hold up?"

I think they do well. I have about 10,000 miles on mine. Some screws fell out, and some of the moving parts scraped each other a bit, but nothing serious to me.

"2. It appears that TMs lose about well over 50% of their retail value in 10 years. Is that typical for TMs? Typical for trailers in general? Or is there some other reason for this?"

I can't answer this well, but I'd be *thrilled* if in 10 years it only lost 1/2 of its' value. I think TMs hold their value more than most, but trailers do depreciate steeply. You can avoid some of this by buying used.

"3. Though TM says you can haul up to a 3023, that really looks like it would be pushing it. Why is TM generous with their rating?"

They want to sell trailers! I would be concerned towing anything with a 2.4L engine, but I might just be way too conservative. I'll let others with similar vehicles chime in. Make sure your hitch can handle the tongue weight, and I imagine you would need a weight distributing hitch - make sure you can put one on your vehicle.

"4. One of my concerns with the TM over say a Hi-Lo is the two piece roof. Have you ever had to replace the roof gasket and how difficult and expensive is it?"

Not a problem. You could remove the roof gaskets (as someone else mentioned there are two) and probably not have a leak problem still. TMs leak in the same places everyone elses' trailers leak - at the airconditioner, awnings, vents, etc. I doubt TMs are more leak prone than anyone else's trailers. Mine has never leaked (about 1 year of ownership).

"5. Is it better to store your TM in the open or closed position? Where I live, I can do either. It at least makes sense to me, that the open position keeps tension off the spring lift mechanism which might increase their life span."

Closed up I think would be less likely to get damaged, less likely to have thiefs try to break in, etc. Also, it's designed to be towed while down, so I imagine that's where it can take the most stresses.

"6. Is the lifetime warranty on the lift mechanism transferable? If you buy one used, does the warranty move with the unit?"

No idea but I don't think you'll have a problem with the lift mechanism.

"7. The 2619 just meets our needs, the 2720 easily meets the needs. We actually like the 2619's floorplan over the 2720SL/SD better (why we like the 2720 better). Is there anything you like about the different units, especially in the used markets?"

Don't buy "barely meets" when it comes to our needs. You probably won't be happy and will end up losing a lot of money upgrading. I'd look for the 2720 based on what you've said.

"8. Finally, one of the big reasons we are thinking about the TM and Hi-Lo is the fuel economy aspect. It is certainly at least logical to buy into the claim that aerodynamic efficiency would reduce fuel consumption. Has anyone actually have published results of such a test and just how much to expect?"

I gain more from slowing down than I lose towing the TM - mileage wise, kt's almost like it isn't there. But I am towinig with a larger vehicle. I would expect to lose some mileage towing, and I would carefully compute how much the mileage savings is when comparing to other brands - you pay a premium for either TMs or Hilos, and that premium would buy a *LOT* of gas.

What I like about the TM is the ease of towing - low CG, low wind drag, etc. I also like that it is fairly large when set up, and has a very open floor plan. It is easy to store and fits in almost all camping spots. But make sure you are buying what you really want - it fits my camping style but may not fit yours.

One thing I would suggest is seriously looking at your vehicle's capabilities, especially if you plan on towing in the mountains. If you end up not being happy with it, and buying a new vehicle because you weren't happy, you might want to consider that now as you look at trailers. If you will have to get a new vehicle no matter what (I'm not sure if you would or not), then you might want to chose a heavier or larger trailer if it better suits your lifestyle.