View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Default Pictures newbies won't have seen before

When I was looking for a TM, I was very curious about some of the technical aspects of TM construction. Sorry, these are not going to be picturesque!

One of the big questions, what years had metal framing? This varies, and cannot be pinned down to a specific year. However, you can check without removing any screws. Just peek underneath and inside one of the pocket stops. These are located where the lift arm attaches to the upper shell. There are 8 of these in total.
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal framing at pocket.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	15176
[EDIT - check Post #8 below for more info and another picture]

Not all wood can be eliminated. One place is for the bag seal, and this wood needs replacing once in awhile. It's hard to see as my camera was fighting with the bright sky and dark pocket. Much of the wood is rotted in this image and will need replacing. It shouldn't be very difficult. When the bag seal is removed, chip or blow out the remaining rotted wood, clean with dilute bleach, rinse well (you don't want bleach remaining on metal, it can erode metal). Then replace with 1x1 treated wood. Other's may have their own suggestions for this repair, but whatever solution, it won't be very bad. Nothing like what Maria went through!

Name:	rotted wood for bag seal.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	15177

Trying to figure out where those wasps were coming from?

Name:	wasp nest.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	15178

Here is a good shot of the torsion bar. Tightening the bolt pushes on the short length of the "L", increasing tension on the torsion bar.

Name:	Torson bar.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	15179

Here you can see how the shell is attached to the lift bar. There is a thicker aluminum plate which is attached to the aluminum frame inside. The outer skin is damaged on mine, exposing the inner plate. The tear here will not affect the function of the lifting mechanism, but there may be sharp edges so a stainless fender washer may be a good idea here.

Name:	lift bar support bolt.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	15180

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote