View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The CHP likes to enforce it at large construction sites. This is also where they like to enforce getting rid of out of state plates.

As I understand it, if you have a permanently attached camp then you can haul stuff inside. But the open bed can only be used when the plates are commercial.

Perhaps they changed the law when I wasn't looking.

Years ago friends of my dad had their BIG camper bolted to the bed of the truck, through the frame. This made the camper permanent and allowed passenger plates. People that use chains and turnbuckles are using a temporary attachment and that requires commercial plates.
I did some web research on this subject and it turns out that you are 100% correct. They say ignorance is bliss, and I have now had my bliss cancled.

It turns out that I have had all my pickups registered as commercial vehicles since the earth was young. In California, if you have one letter in your license number it is a commercial registration. If you have 3 letters, it is a passenger vehicle registration.

It does not say Commercial Vehicle anywhere on the actual in-car registration certificate, so they had me fooled. The commercial registration includes a $156 dollar commercial vehicle fee.

People have tried to fight this, but to no avail. Another joy of living in California.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote